My Blog on WCCO-TV: Bite of Minnesota

Monday, November 28, 2011

Review: Alexia Sweet Potato Puffs

Getting ready for a move is so extremely time consuming. We move later this week and our house is in a state of disarray as we organize and pack each room. As you can imagine, we barely have time for cooking or dishes so I've been opening my eyes to some convenience foods.

When Alexia Foods e-mailed me offering sample packages of their new Sweet Potato Puffs, I was pretty excited. Thoughts of tater tot hot dish and veggie burgers started swirling in my head. From the picture on the package, it looked similar to a tater tot, so I wondered why it wasn't called a tot.


When the package arrived, I looked a little closer and saw that it was shaped like a tater tot, but lacked the texture of a tater tot. Hence the name: sweet potato puffs. Unfortunately, it was not going to work well for a tater tot casserole, so I went for Plan B, a side dish for veggie burgers.


Tasting the puffs right out of the oven, the exterior was firm but not crispy and the interior tasted (and felt) like mashed sweet potatoes, similar to a giant sweet potato fry. Wanting to spice it up a little bit, I made a dipping sauce using 1 cup of light sour cream and 1 1/2 teaspoons of Exotic Blend from Sameh Wadi's Spice Trail.



Overall, I thought it was a fun and inventive product (and a very easy side dish…or appetizer), but it just wasn't the right convenience food for me. With over 14 ingredients, I'll stick to making my own sweet potato side dishes.

Disclaimer: Alexia Foods sent me Sweet Potato Puffs to sample at no cost. I was under no obligation to blog about it and of course, all opinions are my own.

4 comments:

  1. We've had their sweet potato fries. Much better than other frozen varieties and definitely worth the additional cost. Mmm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Uptown Diner has sweet potato tater tots as one of the sides you can get with all of their sandwiches . . . we'll have to go once you guys get settled in! (They are definitely tot-texture!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've tried other potato products from Alexia - really like the waffle fries. Haven't seen this one though... I'll look for it next time I'm at the store. They sound tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the review. I like some of their other products - so I could see myself getting this to try. It's nice to know what to expect... I would have thought it was a tot too!

    I'd love to see more from you on sweet potato dishes.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...