My Blog on WCCO-TV: Bite of Minnesota

Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Lobster Anyone?

If I had updated my Facebook status on Friday night, it would have been one of those over-joyous and bordering-on-annoying updates, so instead I saved my excitement for the blog and went to bed.

Now, I should admit that I ate not one, but two dinners on Friday night. Indulgent? You bet! Especially because my evening started with lobster.


This fall I visited the Smack Shack with some girlfriends and we swooned over the lobster roll and shrimp po' boy, vowing to return when the food trucks hit the streets again. Check out that lovely sandwich would ya?


Well, I didn't have to wait until summer as Smack Shack has taken over the kitchen at the 1029 Bar in Northeast Minneapolis serving up succulent lobster creations Wednesday through Saturday. On this particular evening, they were putting on a lobster boil. Yep, a lobster boil in the middle of winter in Minnesota…and they had so much fun that they did it again the next night! For $20 you can get all of this:


I strapped on my bib (yes, bibs were provided) and pried open the lobster with some help from Josh Thoma, considering I had no clue where or how to start (apparently, aggressiveness is key). The lobster was extremely good on it's own, but I'm a total butter fan, so of course I dipped a few pieces in butter for good measure. Served alongside the lobster was a surprisingly fresh tasting ear of corn, a piece of sausage and some hearty red skinned mashed potatoes. Yum! I'm totally going back soon - can't wait!

Watch their Facebook page for notifications on events like this. Spots fill up quickly, so sign up right away if you can.

Coming soon…dinner #2.


Disclosure: I received my meal for free as part of the press, but was not required to write about the experience. I chose to because seriously, it's darn good lobster and I'll be back!

4 comments:

  1. that is such good news! I was so disappointed when I missed out on hitting the truck this fall!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow!!! This looks FANTASTIC. Can't wait to go there. I appreciate the "heads up".

    You're the best.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Added to the list of places to try. Is the lobster boil just an occasional event (once a month?) or something that happens every Friday?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Emily - I agree, I was bummed that more people didn't get to try it out before they closed up shop. Now we have options!

    Kelli - Thanks! I always love passing on great info.

    Amy - the lobster boil is an occasional event, but it sounds like they will be doing it more frequently. It should be announced via Facebook and/or Twitter when they plan the next one.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...