My Blog on WCCO-TV: Bite of Minnesota

Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Oatmeal Packets

As if the dark days of winter could be any darker, the busy time at Ryan’s job (aka “busy season”) is upon us. That means he spends most of his day at work looking at spreadsheets, numbers, and complicated calculations. Ugh.

That also means it’s time for me to step it up in the food department and make sure he has plenty of healthy snacks and meals to keep his brain going until April. Instead of stocking his desk with crackers and cookies, I figured oatmeal packets would be a healthier and more substantial choice.


While I usually buy thick rolled oats, I had some free coupons for quick cooking oats that I put to use in these packets. First, I made oatmeal powder by putting 1 cup oats in my coffee grinder and blending until powdered, which help the oat mixture thicken when cooked.

Then, I put the following in sandwich bags:

¼ cup quick cooking oats
2 tbsp powdered oats
1 tbsp wheat germ or ground flaxseed
1 tbsp maple sugar or brown sugar
1 tbsp soy protein powder
2 tbsp dried fruit (mixed berries, raisins, pineapple, etc.)
1 tbsp nuts (walnuts, pecans, slivered almonds)
1 tbsp shredded unsweetened coconut (optional)
1/8 tsp cinnamon

Each bag has something slightly different. Some have shredded coconut, some don’t (but a pineapple, coconut, and pecan combo is quite tasty). Some have maple sugar, some have brown sugar. I really tried to mix it up.

Now, all he has to do is add ¾ cup boiling water, stir, and let sit for 2 minutes. Or, he can add 2/3 cup water (or milk) and microwave it for a minute or two.

Voila!

8 comments:

  1. Grandma Barb1/25/2011 5:20 PM

    Wow! Think I'll do this when I need a pick me up while gardening this spring (I know it's coming!) Thanks for the tips.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK! Perfect timing, Crystal. I've been falling prey to convenience foods lately . . . and one of them has been packaged instant oatmeal. Now I know what my next "cooking" project will be!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this idea! I am going to make these up this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good job for you and even better job to Ryan for taking advantage of it! Back when busy season was a part of our lives I don't think my husband would have taken advantage of a gift like that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the idea! This will be great for camping season too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are amazing! Thanks for the support Crystal!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this idea too. I think I might have to make us some. Sounds so much better than my instant packets.

    ReplyDelete
  8. An extra idea that I learned about while researching low-energy cooking.....put the oatmeal (with hot water) in a thermos the night before and by morning it is tender and ready. Steel-cut oatmeal can take an especially long time to cook, and this method works well for a traditionally long-cooking item.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...