My Blog on WCCO-TV: Bite of Minnesota

Monday, December 20, 2010

Here We Snow Again!

Since we’re facing yet another snow day, I figured it would be a good time to share my cooking endeavors from our last snow day (just over a week ago). I can’t say I made super healthy foods, but rather feel-good foods. I really need to work out after all these snow days…

Salted Pumpkin Seed Brittle

I’ve always wanted to make brittle, so after finding this recipe on The Kitchn, I decided to modify it by using toasted pumpkin seeds.

Press quickly into the pan!

Work quickly when pressing it into a pan and for an extra flavor component, press some sea salt on top too. This recipe made a lot of brittle, so we were able to share with friends at a family gathering.

Crostini with Roasted Grape Tomatoes and Goat Cheese

I really wanted to make some appetizers, so I picked up a baguette, puff pastry, cheese, and grape tomatoes from Trader Joe’s and went to work in the kitchen.  Starting with the tomatoes, I made a nice bite-sized appetizer.

Crostini with Roasted Grape Tomatoes and Goat Cheese
(adapted from Food & Wine)

1 small baguette, sliced into ½-inch slices
4 oz. goat cheese, softened
2 pints grape tomatoes
3 garlic cloves, smashed
1 tablespoon olive oil, plus 1/3 cup
1 sprig rosemary
1 sprig oregano
Salt and freshly ground black pepper

Preheat oven to 400°. In a glass baking dish, combine grape tomatoes, smashed garlic, salt, and pepper with 1 tablespoon olive oil and toss well. Roast for 20 minutes or until skin starts to shrivel.

Meanwhile, combine 1/3 cup olive oil, rosemary, and oregano in a large bowl. Remove roasted tomatoes from oven and add to bowl. Stir gently and let stand 30 minutes.

Reduce oven to 350°. Arrange baguette slices on a cookie sheet and toast for 10 minutes or until crisp. To serve, spread goat cheese on baguette slices and top with tomatoes and infused oil.

Brie, mushrooms, and raspberry jam wrapped in puff pastry.

Next, I wrapped puff pastry around brie cheese, sautéed mushrooms and onions, and raspberry jam. It was baked at 400° until lightly browned on top and served with fresh fruit.

Chili Cheese & Mushroom Bites

I had one sheet of puff pastry left over so I made little appetizer cups filled with chiles, sautéed mushrooms, onions, cheddar, and Swiss.

Chocolate Pudding Pie

And I couldn’t help but make another dessert: chocolate pudding pie with a homemade pie crust.


Of course, there was plenty of champagne to go with all that food and make the day just a tad more enjoyable. Nom nom.

4 comments:

  1. I want one of everything you picture here! YUM! Especially the brie and mushrooms in puff pastry - brilliant! Happy Holidays!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll take one of everything too! I loved the brittle, yum!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know whether I dare try making a baked brie type concoction . . . I fear I'll eat the entire thing! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. My mouth is watering! Sound delicious!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...