My Blog on WCCO-TV: Bite of Minnesota

Thursday, December 9, 2010

Cranberry Walnut Bread

Are you down with the sickness? Based on status updates, tweets, and the general sniffling and sneezing of those around me, it seems that everyone has some sort of sickness hindering them from being 100%. Since I didn’t want to be one of “the sickies”, I invested in cartons of orange juice (the kind with REAL orange juice) and not only drank up, but also incorporated OJ into the foods I made, like cranberry walnut bread.


While my investment in orange juice didn’t prevent me from getting a cold, it (and plenty of sleep) may have helped me recover more quickly. After a full day in bed yesterday, I’m ready to tackle my to-do list which includes sharing this wonderful bread.

I’ve been making this bread for a few years now and found the recipe in Everyday Food back in 2004 that was sent in by a reader. I love how moist and tender the bread is with bursts of tart cranberry and crunchy walnuts. Plus, it’s so easy to make! I forgot to photograph it a few weeks ago, so I just had to make another loaf for photo purposes.


Cranberry-Walnut Bread
(serves 8)

2 tbsp unsalted butter, room temperature
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 ½ tsp baking powder
½ tsp baking soda
½ tsp salt
1 cup sugar
1 large egg
1 tsp grated orange zest
1 cup fresh orange juice
1 cup fresh cranberries (frozen work fine too)
1 cup toasted walnuts, coarsely chopped

Preheat oven to 325°. Butter and flour an 8 ½-by-4 ½-inch loaf pan; set aside. In a medium bowl, stir together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; set aside.

With an electric mixer, cream butter and sugar on medium speed until combined. Add egg, and beat well. Gradually add flour mixture, mixing until combined (dough will appear very dry). Reduce speed to low; beat in orange zest and juice. Fold in cranberries and walnuts.

Spread batter in prepared pan, smoothing top. Bake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 50 minutes to 1 hour (tent with foil if top is browning too quickly.) Cool in pan 10 minutes; run a knife around edges of loaf, and invert on a wire rack. Turn top side up; cool completely before slicing.

2 comments:

  1. My mom makes something very similar every Christmas -- I love the combination of cranberries, walnuts, and citrus! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK, and now it's Friday, and yes, I'm "down with the sickness." I have BOTH the cold and tummy crud that is going around the kids at work. I guess I'll have to buy more OJ tomorrow!?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...