My Blog on WCCO-TV: Bite of Minnesota

Thursday, November 4, 2010

Great Combinations: Brussels Sprouts & Apples

Yay, another dinner at home! I had picked up Brussels sprouts from Ann Yin over at Local D’Lish and wanted to make the Shredded Brussels Sprouts and Apple Salad from 101 Cookbooks.


I started by marinating my own tofu using the Veganomican Italian marinade recipe and the leftover container I got from the Surdyk’s Flights event. It works so well for marinating because it has a flat bottom.

Reduce, reuse, recycle!


Then I baked the strips of tofu in a 400° oven for 25 minutes or until slightly crispy, skipping the whole pan-frying step. After the tofu had cooled a bit, I cut it into bite-sized pieces and started the garlic and maple syrup in a skillet, adding sliced apples and tofu at the end per the recipe. I substituted peanuts for pine nuts simply because pine nuts are outrageously expensive, so I rarely have them on hand anymore.


It was a delicious dinner and because it’s so good for you, I didn’t feel guilty eating a ton of it. It's also a pretty easy recipe - I just chose to complicate things a bit by combining recipes.

I might as well be participating in Vegan Mofo this month.  Maybe I'll participate unofficially since I missed the sign up deadline.


2 comments:

  1. I saw this recipe on 101 and thought it looked good. I have one more batch of brussels sprouts from my garden so this could be what they are destined for.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...