My Blog on WCCO-TV: Bite of Minnesota

Thursday, November 11, 2010

Broccoli, Brown Rice & Cheddar Casserole

Since I soon have to accept that it is cold out, I figured a casserole would be in order. I usually don’t make casseroles and just the word “casserole” brings back memories of mom’s elbow macaroni, ground beef and green bean concoction that we ate way too many times. (Sorry mom!) I’ve heard that casseroles and hot dishes are just a Midwestern thing, anyone know if this is true?

My friend, Kate, made this broccoli and rice casserole soon after we met last year and I’ve had it bookmarked ever since because it brought back some memories. Way back in the day, one of my favorite things to bring to lunch was a frozen vegetable side from Green Giant. Know which ones I’m talking about? The small frozen boxes of Green Bean Casserole, Cheesy Rice and Broccoli, Green Beans & Almonds, etc. One day, my taste buds noticed a significant jump in sodium content and since then, I haven’t been able to stomach them.

Luckily, Kate’s Homemade Brown Rice, Broccoli and Cheddar Casserole hit the spot and brought back my better memories of Cheesy Rice and Broccoli from Green Giant, only this time it had brown rice, organic cream of mushroom soup, and tons of fresh broccoli. It was so delicious and full of creamy cheesy goodness that I consciously had to put my fork down and stop eating.


This time I made the full recipe, which could have easily served eight. Ryan took it for lunch day after day, loving it as leftovers too. Next time I’ll have to make just half of the recipe.

Thanks for the great recipe, Kate!

1 comment:

  1. My mom's "Broccoli-Rice Casserole," made with white rice and a jar of Cheez Whiz was my oft-requested birthday dinner as a small child. I was weird. I liked broccoli. A lot. I want to make the updated version now!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...