My Blog on WCCO-TV: Bite of Minnesota

Sunday, October 31, 2010

Cherry Berry Breakfast Smoothie

After a week of eating out, Ryan and I both woke up craving something healthy and light for breakfast. Since we have plenty of fruit in the freezer, I pulled out some tart cherries and strawberries to put in the blender and made this:


It was based on a recipe from Shape magazine called Tangy Cherry-Berry Sipper. Here is my adaptation:

Cherry Berry Breakfast Smoothie
(serves 2)

1 cup frozen strawberries
1 cup pitted tart cherries
1 cup lowfat plain yogurt
1 tbsp wheat germ
2 tbsp honey
2 tsp vanilla
½ cup ice
½ cup cherry juice (or use cranberry juice)
½ cup water

Combine all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth. Pour into two glasses and serve with a straw.

I love smoothies and it’s a good way to pack in fruits and/or veggies quickly any time of day.

1 comment:

  1. A fellow MN food blogger stopping by! I saw this recipe and am really excited about it, but I have to ask -- where do you find tart cherries?! I've looked all over after moving to the cities and haven't been able to find them. Any suggestions?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...