My Blog on WCCO-TV: Bite of Minnesota

Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Surdyk's Flights - Now Open at MSP

Although I haven’t been on an airplane since April, I did hang out at the Minneapolis-St. Paul airport last night to celebrate the opening of Surdyk’s Flights Wine Market & Bar.


I have to admit, it was pretty cool to go to the airport for a grand opening party and pass through special security. All the same rules applied (remove shoes, bag liquids, etc.), but since the airport was virtually empty, I sailed through security in record time. Finding my car afterwards…now that’s another story.

When I used to travel a lot, I always longed for better airport food options. I try to pack my own food to bring on the plane, but that doesn’t always happen. I remember how excited I was when French Meadow Bakery first opened at the airport – I’d actually pick up a healthy dinner on my way back into town so Ryan and I didn’t have to fuss with dinner after a long flight. Now I have another option with some of my favorites – wine and cheese!

Great wine selection!

Surdyk’s gourmet sandwiches are quite good too. Last night we were able to try quite a few of their offerings, both hot and cold.

The Ultimate Grilled Cheese & Surdyk's Panini

All food items are available to-go and I’m especially excited about the cheese platter. For $9, you get fresh fruit, baguette slices, 3 kinds of cheese and some nuts, all packaged in a little container for easy enjoyment.  Forget those "snack packs" they sell on the plane full of processed junk!

Fresh items available for breakfast - yum!

I’m also quite excited about the local wine offerings. I scoured the shelves until I spotted it. They would make great gifts for out-of-towners.


I hope I can go on a trip soon because I know I'll be stopping here.  I might even try getting to the airport early (rare for me) and hunker down on their patio to enjoy a glass of wine.  Now I just need that plane ticket...

Disclaimer:  I attended a media party where the food and beverages were free.

3 comments:

  1. They have a patio?!? At the airport? I am headed out of town next week...I will have to check it out!

    Courtney

    ReplyDelete
  2. Courtney - yes, they have a patio, but it's not an outdoor one. It sits across from the storefront and has booths and chairs. Great place to catch up on e-mails or get some work done because you can plug in too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a buddy who is a chef there. I have tried some of the sandwiches they make and have to say, it really is good. If you happen to be in the airport with some extra time and an empty stomach, stop by and grab a bite to eat.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...