My Blog on WCCO-TV: Bite of Minnesota

Monday, September 20, 2010

Black Garlic Shrimp

So, football season has started. Our Sundays are planned around the Vikings game (usually smack dab in the middle of the day) and I lose my husband to 3 hours of indecipherable noises, table pounding, and smack talk. As tempting as it is to join him (and I say that sarcastically), I prefer to do other things during that time like napping (seriously, napping to football is awesome), crafting (as long as the table isn’t pounded too hard) and considering I keep mistakenly typing “foodball” instead of “football”, cooking is also something that will occupy my time while the game is on.

Although I may have had a breakdown or two over football season starting (and us losing our Sundays), I have emerged on the other side, seeing just how productive I’m going to be on Sundays. What a perfect time to brainstorm on using black garlic, right?


When I announced on Twitter that I had a bunch of black garlic, a website called Black Garlic Love encouraged me to check out their recipes. I just bought some shrimp* from Coastal Seafoods, so the Black Garlic Shrimp recipe seemed quite appropriate.

I made a few changes to the original recipe and served it over steamed green beans (from the Des Moines farmers market) instead of salad. Let me tell you, this recipe is an awesome use of black garlic! It reminded me of a black bean sauce: spicy, thick, and filled with umami. This sauce would also be great served over roasted tofu or as a vinaigrette (both of which I will be trying).


Black Garlic Shrimp with Steamed Green Beans
Adapted from Kavon William Langley for Black Garlic Love.com
Yields: 2 Portions

10 cloves black garlic
½ cup mirin (Japanese cooking wine)
1 tsp salt and pepper
1 tbsp fresh chopped ginger
1 tsp sriracha sauce
1 tbsp olive oil
10 large shrimp, peeled and deveined
½ lb fresh green beans, trimmed

In a food processor, blend the black garlic, mirin, salt and pepper, ginger, sriracha sauce and olive oil. Reserve 2 tablespoons of dressing in a small bowl for later use.

Place the shrimp in a zip-top bag or reusable container and pour black garlic dressing over the top. Marinate for 1 hour before removing shrimp to a plate to drain.

In a saucepan fitted with a steamer tray, boil water. Add green beans and cover; steam for 6 minutes or until beans are tender.

Meanwhile, preheat a grill pan over medium heat. Add shrimp and cook 2 minutes per side or until cooked.

Arrange green beans on a platter and top with cooked shrimp. Drizzle reserved sauce over top and serve.



*I know that shrimp are not vegetarian at all, but we have been introducing a little more fish and seafood into our diets, so vegetarian readers feel free to turn the page ;)

1 comment:

  1. Oh, girl. I know your pain -- the football season is slowly taking over everything here too. But then, you've met Matt, so I really don't need to tell you that. Using the time to cook instead sounds like the best way to cope.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...