My Blog on WCCO-TV: Bite of Minnesota

Monday, August 9, 2010

North Shore Vacation Eats

Aw, the end of vacation…always a sad thing. We were recently up on the North Shore of Lake Superior for Ryan’s sister’s wedding and it was wonderful! The wedding took place in Two Harbors at Grand Superior Lodge where we rented a cabin for the week. The days leading up to the wedding were a little nerve racking (favors to finalize, speeches to write, rooms to decorate), but once the couple said, “I do”, the party and relaxation began.


The day after the wedding, Ryan and I took a hiking trip up to Grand Marais and had one of the best dinners ever at the Angry Trout Café. While a little pricey at $22, it was totally worth it for fresh grilled fish, tons of veggies and freshly made dressings. Check it out over on my Bite of Minnesota blog.


Another place worth mentioning is the Duluth Grill. It merely looks like a simple diner or truck stop restaurant on the outside. However, when I saw a lady exiting the restaurant with a green smoothie, my heart skipped a beat – I knew that shade of green could have only come from spirulina (my favorite smoothie addition) and I got really excited to check out the menu.


Sure enough, they had a whole flexitarian section along with a Gluten-Free section on their menu. Yipee!! I quickly decided on the Wild Rice Melt (with tons of sweet potato fries) and Ryan ordered the Bean & Tempeh Burrito. Both were excellent except for the slightly cold sweet potato fries.  We’ll definitely be stopping here again when in Duluth!




After being home for a week, it’s sinking in that vacation is over. The pictures have been posted, the laundry is done and our house is almost back in order. All we can do now is dream of our next trip to the North Shore…

2 comments:

  1. The Angry Trout Cafe is one of my favorite restaurants of ALL TIME. Dan and I go there every time we're on the north shore!

    The Gunflint Tavern is also an excellent restaurant in Grand Marais -- also make sure to hit World's Best Donuts next time, too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seriously, I think that meal can go in the "Best Meals of All Time" category. Loved it!

    I really want to explore Grand Marais more next time, so these are great suggestions. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...