My Blog on WCCO-TV: Bite of Minnesota

Monday, August 16, 2010

Finally - Blueberry Picking!

Last week, Ryan and I finally made it down to Maiden Rock for some much needed blueberry picking. Since blueberry season arrived sooner than normal, we were afraid we had missed it! I frantically called John at Rush River Produce who assured me that I didn’t miss the season, but they were winding down. I was instructed to arrive by 8:00am on Thursday because those arriving after 8:45am wouldn’t have a chance at picking. Eek!

We woke up at 6:00am and hit the road by 6:30am not expecting the dense low-lying fog throughout our drive:

The view from up above.
Luckily, we made it shortly after 8:00am and got picking right away. The blueberries were abundant, but a little tart (fine with me!) Soon after, we felt the effects of the high humidity with sweat dripping off our noses and soaking our clothes. It was quite the sauna experience, but well worth it as we came away with 15 pounds of blueberries.


After a short nap (hey, I’m not used to getting up at 6:00am people!) I made the requisite blueberry pie. While I usually use flour as a thickener, the Joy of Cooking says to use cornstarch, so I tried it. Unfortunately, I wasn’t too happy with the results. The pie tastes awesome, but it feels a little more congealed gelled. I think I’ll go back to my flour method moving forward.


I also made Berry Goodness Muffins, which are my absolute favorite muffins.  Full of goodies like oat, spelt and garbanzo bean flour, applesauce and nutmeg, they also have three kinds of berries: strawberries, blueberries and raspberries. Yum!


Most of the remaining berries will be frozen, distributed to friends/family, and eaten raw, but I’m still on the hunt for other uses. Let me know your favorites!

3 comments:

  1. That's cool you got there in the nick of time, both that day and season-wise. This is on my to-do list for next year.

    Blueberry pancakes. For your entire neighborhood. Enough said.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had every intention of getting there this year, too. But summer completely got away from me. Your post really makes me long for some fresh picked berries. Next year!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...