My Blog on WCCO-TV: Bite of Minnesota

Thursday, July 8, 2010

Pesto & Pasta - What a Great Combo!

After strawberry and raspberry picking this weekend, my car got quite dusty from driving on the gravel roads so I figured I’d swing by the car wash my brother manages, Green Planet Car Wash, in Lakeville. I ran it through the wash and his guys toweled it down and detailed the interior. Much better!

I told my brother, Tony, to grab a container, pop the trunk and help himself to some raspberries and strawberries. We were about to leave when he told me to hold up and handed me this:


Tony said his buddy (who sells it at the Minneapolis Farmers Market Annex, I believe) just gave him some pesto and wasn’t sure what to do with it. I had just started giving him a bunch of ideas when Tony said, “I’ll get some more, you try this one.” Heck yes – score!!


The pesto was filled with big chunks of basil, cheese and walnuts and I knew right then and there that I’d be making fresh pasta from scratch and tossing it with pesto. Perfect timing too as Ryan was going to the Tool concert, so I’d be on my own for the evening (which is totally rare).

I got to work and mixed together whole wheat and white flours, eggs, olive oil, water and salt.


After 10 minutes of kneading, I divided the dough into four pieces and let it rest (covered) for an hour.


Then comes the hard part – rolling the dough into pasta sheets. It’s tedious and takes a long time, but it is totally worth it.


The fun part is cutting the pasta sheets into noodles.  It's like my reward for cranking through all those pasta sheets. I ended up with four nice little bundles of pasta ready for boiling.


Since I was the only one eating, I boiled one of the bundles (1/4 pound of pasta) and tossed it with the pesto and some sliced cherry tomatoes.


Dinner was absolutely awesome! I felt like I was eating a gourmet meal thanks to all the super fresh ingredients and I could truly enjoy the fruits of my labor. After all that standing and rolling out the pasta, I was more than happy to sit on the couch, re-watch 27 Dresses and wait for Ryan to come home.

4 comments:

  1. I want to make pasta so bad! I don't have a pasta maker though or roller or whatever they are called!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh, I LOOOVE pesto...that looks sooo delish! I however, wouldn't have a CLUE where to start making my own pasta...
    that pesto looks like it was to die for!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Grandma Barb7/10/2010 11:33 AM

    Wow! That looks soooooo good! Can't make pasta but would love to get some of the pesto.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am addicted to pesto. I use it on bread, sandwiches - everything! I still haven't made my own pasta. One day.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...