My Blog on WCCO-TV: Bite of Minnesota

Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Reubens on Rye

I love a good reuben. Ryan and I sat down recently and were talking about what we order most frequently at restaurants. He was convinced reubens would be #1 for me. I disagreed…until I counted all reubens I have ordered at restaurants. When I started counting on a third hand I was convinced as well. So, Ryan was proven right and I was left with a reuben craving – again.

Remember that bake-along for Artisan Breads in 5 Minutes a Day? Lucky for me, rye bread was next on the list.


This is one of my favorite breads I have made from this book. The rye bread was dense and flavorful and I was so sad when it was gone. At least I have a few extra cups of rye flour so I can make it again soon. Seriously – peanut butter on toasted rye bread is one of my favorites from childhood.

When I make reubens at home, I definitely go for the tempeh reuben. Using Vegan with a Vengeance as a guide, I marinate and cook the tempeh and make my own dressing. The tempeh is layered with a slice of Swiss cheese, sauerkraut, and a pickle and pan-fried for a couple of minutes to toast up the bread.


Delicious! Now that I have made my own bread, I really need to try fermenting my own cabbage to make sauerkraut. Maybe in the fall…

10 comments:

  1. What is the tempeh marinated in for this recipe (since the Budget Nazi (TM) wouldn't permit the purchase of any book not prescribing to the Meat and Potatoes Philosophy) ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a marinade of white wine, olive oil, vinegar, soy sauce, lemon juice and garlic. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks to my parents' experiments with making sauerkraut as a kid, I can't handle the smell enough to eat reubens to this day -- if you make your own, be prepared for your garage/basement/etc to be very fragrant indeed. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Crystal, that bread and sandwich look absolutely amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also LOVE ruebens, but have never had one with tempeh! Your picture is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oooh! I didn't think to put pickles on our reubens way back when! Maybe it's time to make another round???

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks delicious. I have often wondered about the making sauerkraut thing. I think we actually did it in kindergarten, but it just seems like it would be so stinky. So if you do it, be sure to let me know!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Drool! I love rye bread! I'm too afraid to make my own though. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Really great looking rye, Crystal. And I don't say that lightly, as I've seen a lot of loaves proudly displayed in blogs, and I think, "Sweet fancy Moses, what is that...thing?!?!" I would gladly eat a Reuben made from yours. Though maybe not with tempeh.

    Bake on~ Brett

    p.s., Making your own 'kraut is a snap. I have a simple method (not my own) for 'kraut in jars on the Trout Caviar blog. Look under "fermentation," I think.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...