My Blog on WCCO-TV: Bite of Minnesota

Sunday, April 4, 2010

Plenty of Eats at Target Field

Baseball fever has hit Minnesota. We have a new ballpark officially debuting on April 12th and Ryan and I are stocked up on Twins tickets. While I’m not a huge sports fan, I do enjoy the entire experience of outdoor baseball so I was thrilled to receive an invite to preview the food at Target Field.


I was able to try quite a few new items and I’m eager to share some of my favorites. I put together a slideshow on WCCO which can be viewed through here (just click on the slideshow link in the post), but I'll highlight some of the healthier options below.

Executive Chef Pastor Jimenez was on hand to answer all of our questions and I found him to be incredibly approachable. Hot dogs, hamburgers and nachos are staples at the ballpark, but it is refreshing to learn that healthier options have been considered as well.

Starting out on our tour, we stopped at Asian Wok, a new vendor offering both a chicken and veggie stir-fry. For $8.50, you’ll get a take-out carton packed full of veggies and noodles (and chicken if you choose).

I was impressed by the variety of vegetables offered: red onion, carrots, noodles, bok choy, red peppers and snow peas. The sauce used in this dish was quite spicy, but not overwhelming. Sriracha sauce is available if you like it very spicy.

As an alternative to the brats and hot dogs, Chef Jimenez said Morningstar Farms has developed a meatless sausage that rivals the real thing. He is excited to start offering it soon after the stadium opens. He’s also going to bring on a Morningstar Farms veggie burger and if it’s anything like the veggie burger served at the Metrodome, I’ll be a happy camper.

Unfortunately, I didn’t get to try anything from Senor Smoke’s, an ode to Juan Berenguer’s home country of Panama, but I heard there will be veggie burritos offered. Yum!

The hidden gem at the State Fair Classics stall is the veggie kabob. Zucchini, squash, mushrooms, peppers and onions are skewered, grilled, and brushed with a flavorful pesto sauce. For $7.50, you’ll be able to get two kabobs with your order.
If for some reason, none of the food catches your eye, bring in your own! According to the press packet I received, outside food and beverages are allowed, so you can create your own day at the ballpark.

One non-food feature I’m really excited about is recycling. There are recycling bins placed throughout the park for both paper towels and normal recycling like newspaper, bottles and cans.



What excites you most about the new Twins ballpark?

6 comments:

  1. Yum!! The food looks so good! Glad they have things without meat if you like thats always nice! Can't wait to go see it!:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so lucky!!! We walked over to the new stadium on Sat night and it looks amazing. Can't wait to go to a game.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello - when you mention you can bring your own food and drink - can you bring your own beer??

    ReplyDelete
  4. How fun! We walked around dt after the game...so much excitement in the air, it was fun! Looking forward to going to a game!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It was great to see you Crystal! Great round up of the healthier options at the ballpark!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am really looking forward to hitting up a few games this summer and hopefully the weather holds out...if it doesn't, maybe I can just eat the food!

    And Carrie, you can't bring beer. (wouldn't that save some money) You can bring bottled water in containers less than 32oz, which will save you from paying $4 for the bottled water at the field.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...