My Blog on WCCO-TV: Bite of Minnesota

Sunday, April 25, 2010

Old Town Scottsdale Farmers Market

Earlier I blogged about the Camelback Market and while it was fun, I was eager to check out what Old Town Scottsdale’s market had to offer.


One thing I noticed right away was the abundance of dogs. It seemed most people had one or two dogs attached to them. (I even saw one dog licking some strawberries –eww!) Not only were there many dogs, but there were many products for dogs too. Bowser Beer (non-alcoholic), dog treats, and even doggie desserts were all offered for the precious pooches. If you’re a dog reading this, move yourself to Arizona and you’ll get treated well!


While there were a couple very small produce stands offering a head or two of cabbage, the big draw at this market was obviously McClendon’s organic produce. Bob McClendon and his team are quite famous around the Phoenix area. High-profile restaurants buy produce from McClendon’s and they expect the best.


Customers weave through the tables lined with bins of produce grabbing what they need for the week and then wait in one of seven lines (pretty efficient). The greens went quite quickly, but you could still get your hands on great veggies like kohlrabi and rutabaga.




In terms of produce selection, it’s very similar to what we offer. Unfortunately I did not find exciting ingredients like cactus leaves and such, but I found some other fun things like flax seed crackers from Raging Raw.


Fair-trade coffee from What’s Your Grind. They roast right out of their van!


And I also devoured this rich Salted Caramel Cupcake from Butter & Me.


One evening I was able to throw together a quick salad using a mix of backyard garden finds like lettuce, carrots, green onions and red peppers along with farmers market finds of Persian cucumber and cabbage.


I tried to "throw together" a quick peanut dressing.  It didn't quite come together as I had hoped, so Merrilyn and I took turns adding ingredients until it actually tasted like a peanut dressing.  It was a fun experiment that taught me I should work on my peanut dressing :)

5 comments:

  1. I must broaden my horizons . . . kohlrabi and rutabaga, here I come!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Since it's Arizona, was all the produce locally produced? Or do they do quite a bit of "importing"?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm fascinated by the comment about roasting out of their van. Really? How's that work?

    ReplyDelete
  4. There are TONS of farms in Arizona, so I'm assuming it was all local, is that so, Crystal?

    Also, I've got a bit of a farmer's market question for you...have you ever seen homemade yogurt anywhere at the Old Town Scottsdale one? Or anywhere else in the valley?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Grandma Barb4/29/2010 2:41 PM

    Having been to this market and others also in the Valley I would have to say yes, it is local. Even my sister has a wonderful organic garden in her back yard which is where a lot of the ingredients for the salad came.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...