My Blog on WCCO-TV: Bite of Minnesota

Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Needed: Arizona Sunshine

Hello from sunny Arizona! That’s right; I ditched Minnesota (for a little while) to get a jump start on the season. You know that phrase, “a watched pot never boils”? That’s the way I feel as I wait for spring to arrive. I get so antsy waiting for fresh produce that I took matters into my own hands and flew to a place where the sun is almost always shining.

(Lovely landscaping in the front yard)
I am not a stranger to the Phoenix area. In fact, I started my college career at Arizona State University and had a blast (it was one of the top party schools after all). It was a pretty idyllic life. Blue skies, pools at all the dorms, and come November, I was the envy of all my friends back home as I was still wearing shorts.

It is exciting to return to the good life. I am lucky enough to not only have a place to stay (with Ryan’s grandma’s sister, Merrilyn), but I also have a vehicle (a rockin’ minivan) thanks to Ryan’s grandma. This is a trip I have been mulling over for quite some time and I finally got the guts to just buy the plane ticket and go.

(In the backyard - a tree full of oranges)

(Fresh grapefruit for breakfast)

(Yes, a kumquat the size of a small lemon!)

I will be in the Phoenix area for almost two weeks and my goal is to discover fresh and local Phoenix. While my journey will include dinners at wonderful farm fresh restaurants like Quiessence and Joe’s Farm Grill, it will also include little neighborhood joints like Scratch and China Wok. Heck, I’m even going to visit In-N-Out Burger and Sprinkles cupcakes.

I hope you’ll stay tuned over the next couple weeks as I go on this food journey. No promises on strictly healthy or vegetarian foods (although they WILL exist), but I do hope you get some ideas and suggestions for your next trip to Phoenix.

5 comments:

  1. I wish you would've gone before I did so I would've known where to go! I'll have to take notes for my next trip down there. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perfect! I'm headed to the area later this month!

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you get thirsty, I'd highly recommend Papago Brewing in Scottsdale (the hazelnut if they have it!).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Grandma Barb4/08/2010 7:43 PM

    Your pics of my sister's yard are great! How nice that you are there. Never been to Quiessence but try the other place at the farm - great! By the way, I consider you MY granddaughter too after all these years.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have fun! Miss you!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...