My Blog on WCCO-TV: Bite of Minnesota

Wednesday, March 31, 2010

GOOP's Organic Avenue Juice Plan

What a wonderful weekend! My best friend got married and I was maid of honor. It was my first time in a wedding (other than serving as a personal attendant) so I was both nervous and excited. I laughed, I cried, and I even gave a speech. All went very well and it was a blast dancing the night away in honor of newly married couple.

I thought that after eating crap all weekend (I think I had six croissants, a mini bag of Fritos and Cheetos) it would be smart to do a juice day/detox/diet (whatever you want to call it). Ryan and I had done a 3-day detox before and while it wasn’t horrible, we totally broke down at the sight of Boston Market on the 3rd day.

A couple weeks ago, I saw the GOOP newsletter about Organic Avenue’s juice detox program. After reading through the plan, I thought it was a great way to boost my body full of antioxidant rich fruits and vegetables. I made a run to the co-op and stocked up on most of the ingredients, including these ones:


We juiced and/or blended everything and put it into old Kombucha bottles for storage. We went to bed excited for the next day.

The Next Day:

In the morning, we got started on the plan by downing one ounce of chlorophyll mixed with 8 ounces of water. It really set the tone for the rest of the day – that stuff was NASTY! Not only was it nasty, but I’m a strong believer in breakfast. It helps get your brain going and I’m sorry, but chlorophyll and aloe vera juice did nothing for my brain power.

The first juice (spinach/celery/cucumber) was equally gross. It took me a couple hours to drink it and finally I just plugged my nose and chugged it.

The second (avocado/citrus/coconut) and third (coconut water/mint/spinach) were surprisingly delicious. I would make either of them again to supplement a meal.

The final juices (carrot/ginger/orange with shallots and garlic) and (romaine lettuce/spinach/parsley) were ones I couldn’t finish. I had a hard time chewing the shallots while drinking something that tasted like orange juice. I shudder at that memory.

The final meal was to be a salad, but considering Ryan and I were instant messaging all day about food (because we were starving!); we decided pizza and salad would be much better.  Does it give us more points if it was Amy's Organic pizza?

Would I do the juice day again? NO WAY! I love food. I missed prepping, chewing and enjoying food all day and that’s sad. I’m a “life’s too short” thinker, so I don’t like to waste days. While this experiment was a great way to practice self restraint and get some awesome nutrients in my body, I think it is off the mark in holistic health of the mind, body and soul.

What do you think; would you try something like this? Have you tried it and have you been successful?

11 comments:

  1. Not my kind of thing plus since I don't own a juicer, blender or a food processor it's pretty tough for me. Yeah yeah, I'm a foodie w/o those necessities--blame the budget nazi.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you ever done 'Green monster' juices? You blend some yogurt with green leafy vegetables, some honey to sweeten, maybe ground flaxseed and some fruit for flavor and you've got a very tasty and nutritious drink. I've done some, using kale and spinach, and have been pleasantly surprised by the taste, although it just doesn't make up for the lack of mastication. I can give you some combos if you wish. Once in a while, they offer a nice boost.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish I had the willpower to try something like this. I've become a sugar junkie and need a detox program.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know I have always wanted to do a 1 day juice/tea cleanse....but I just don't know if I could make it!!! Some of the juices above...wow! Shallots in juice?

    ReplyDelete
  5. No offense, but I generally think of people who do cleanses or fast as a little off their rocker, especially when they last more than a day or two. I firmly believe our bodies are equipped to do those things on their own, given that you aren't eating crap all the time and that there is some potential for real harm and no doubt binging at the end of the fast. But each their own.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I must confess, I don't really believe in juicing, or juice in general. I have, like, five glasses of OJ per year, and I did have a really nice lemon/apple/parsley/ginger juice from the co-op once, but I'd personally rather eat the whole foods and get the fiber, too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, I'm totally into juice and detoxing and stuff, but that sounds like the most awful plan ever with the worst recipes/combinations. Give me green smoothies any day over that! You can totally do a detox without suffering like that, sorry :(.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the comments - thanks everyone! I also believe that our bodies cleanse themselves and there are much better ways to get nutrients without deprivation.

    So, learn from our experience and no more listening to Ms. Paltrow!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I give you 4x as many points for making it an Amy's pizza!

    ReplyDelete
  10. "Not my kind of thing plus since I don't own a juicer, blender or a food processor it's pretty tough for me. Yeah yeah, I'm a foodie w/o those necessities--blame the budget nazi."

    True for myself as well. I heard about Organic Avenue from Gabrielle Bernstein (have you heard of her? She's amazing) when she did a lecture there and I downloaded it...she swears by these occasional liquid diets. I don't know if I could do it. I had a raw lunch one day last week and almost fainted. It's just not enough, need food that sticks to your ribs. Maybe as a supplement it wouldn't be so terrible but a few of those mixtures sound pretty yucky and I love vegetables.

    ReplyDelete
  11. My name is Nitin from Toronto. I am interested in your writing. Some of your posting are good, I can say, best. Can you please tell me how to subscribe to your blog post online?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...