My Blog on WCCO-TV: Bite of Minnesota

Thursday, February 25, 2010

Have You Tried Starfruit?

Last week during the Cub Foods VIP event, I was introduced to a new fruit - starfruit.  While I've ordered the starfruit flavor at Tea Garden several times in the past, I never knew much about the real version of the fruit.  Truly, I've never ventured into the world of tropical fruits besides the standards like pineapple, mango and bananas (although I did discover a love for passion fruit in the last year).  From the outside starfruit doesn't look like much: 


But once you cut into it, it's a totally different story.  Hello fun and beautiful fruit!


Tom, the produce guy at Cub Foods let us sample starfruit during our tour.  The skin is edible, but a little tough, so I stuck to eating just the fruit part.  It was delicious!  A little tart with the texture of an Asian pear, this is a great fruit to brighten up your day.  At $1.29 a piece, it is definitely a splurge, but I made my husband feel special by sending starfruit slices in his lunch the other day.

Have you tried starfruit?  What did you think?

Don't forget to enter the Cub Foods gift card giveaway - just a few more days left to enter!

6 comments:

  1. The last time I had it was when I was a little kid. My babysitter at the time owned a commercial produce business and they were always showing off the latest in fruits and veggies to hit the mass market.

    I enjoyed it when I had it then but never found a reason to eat it again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love starfruit -- it's so fresh and clean tasting. And I don't even mind the skin, particularly if it's sliced thinly. Every now and again you get one with big seeds that are kind of annoying... but even that won't stop me from eating them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A few years ago, I saw a sheet cake that used these as decoration on the icing. It was beautiful! The same chef also used them in fruit salad for color and eye candy. Everyone was so impressed. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't had it for a few years, such a beautiful fruit though!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like starfruit--so good. The cost keeps me from buying it regularly/more often, but I enjoy it when I have it!

    Courtney

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think starfruit are so pretty, but the ones I've tried haven't seemed to have much flavor. Perhaps I've tried underripe ones?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...