My Blog on WCCO-TV: Bite of Minnesota

Thursday, January 28, 2010

Vermont Cheddar Bread - I Baked!

I baked bread! Finally. I’ve owned Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day for almost a year and have watched Catherine (aka Food Snob) bake beautiful bread loaves, pitas, english muffins and more from it. I was so jealous of her creations that I needed to have the book right away. I dug in and read all the instructions, but never actually made anything.

I know I needed a push, so I joined the Bake-A-Long that Catherine and Victoria started. I missed the first assignment, but finally got started on our second assignment (with some encouragement from Catherine and Victoria), which focused on Vermont Cheddar & Oatmeal breads.

Behold, my first loaf of Vermont Cheddar:



Who knew I could make bread without a breadmaker? It was so incredibly easy that I’m kicking myself for not doing it sooner.

I’m super excited that there’s another batch of dough waiting in my fridge. I’m totally going to make these cute cheddar rolls that Catherine made.

If you’re interested in joining the Bake-A-Long with Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day, just let one of us know. We’re looking forward to discovering new recipes from the book and would welcome suggestions.

7 comments:

  1. Oh, gosh this looks good. And I might be interested in the bake-a-long... I can't seem to get myself started with Artisan Bread. Though I think part of it is the fear that two people won't be able to eat up all the bread I'd have to make. Is that irrational??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm...I might be interested in that bake-along...given that I now own both AB5 books, I should try to use them, yes?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Crystal, your bread is GORGEOUS! Isn't it fun when you pull that loaf out of the oven and go, "whoa! I made THAT??!?!"

    Lo, the cool thing about AB is that the loaves are really small -- my boyfriend and I usually can kill a loaf in a couple of days. OR, you can make only one or two rolls or a teensie loaf if you want!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my, your cheddar bread looks great! Thank you so much for trying the recipe, it is one of my favorites.

    I love that you are going to bake your way through the book. Please let me know if you have any questions as you go. www.breadin5.com

    Cheers and thank you! Zoë François

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that book! I make bread from it all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum!! Baking is one of my weekend goals. I.will.bake.something.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! That looks absolutely perfect! Glad you took the plunge!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...