My Blog on WCCO-TV: Bite of Minnesota

Saturday, January 9, 2010

Potstickers and Edamame Succotash

Easy meals, that’s what I need more often in my life. I often think recipes are easy or simple because the concept and instructions are clear, not because the ingredient list is short and quick to prepare. I love making food from scratch (again, cooking is like therapy for me), but I need meals on the table in a shorter amount of time some nights.

So, I headed over to Trader Joe’s and did what I rarely do…examined the prepackaged, ready to eat foods. Most did not pass my inspection, do I really need pre-cooked rice or packaged stir fries that are loaded with preservatives, sodium and a weird tasting sauce? Definitely not, in this case, fresh is so much better.

Then I came across frozen vegetable potstickers (or gyoza) and frozen shelled edamame. I was reminded of a cover dish on an old Vegetarian Times which calls for both ingredients. Into the cart they went along with a couple frozen meals like Baked Ziti and Eggplant Parmesan. I headed home to try out this “easy” meal.



I can truly say this recipe was so easy. Done in less than 30 minutes, I even squeezed in a little freshness by adding a chopped yellow pepper instead of using frozen. The vegetable potstickers were pretty darn good. While they aren’t as good as my potstickers, they definitely did the job and saved me a good hour in prep. Here’s my adaptation of the recipe:

Vegetable Potstickers and Edamame Succotash
(4 servings)

Chili-Soy Dressing:
3 tbsp rice vinegar
1 tbsp low-sodium soy sauce
1 tbsp toasted sesame oil
1 tsp roasted red chile paste
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tsp chili oil

Potsticker Succotash:
2 tsp canola oil, divided
1 pkg. frozen vegetable potstickers
1 pkg. frozen shelled edamame
1 yellow pepper, chopped
¼ cup chopped cilantro
2 green onions, chopped

To make Chili-Soy Dressing, whisk together all ingredients in a small bowl and set aside.

To make Potsticker Succotash, heat 1 teaspoon canola oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat and add potstickers, do not stir. Cook 5 minutes or until browned on bottom. Add ¼ cup water to pan, cover and cook 5 additional minutes. Transfer potstickers to a plate and pour remaining oil in the pan.

Add frozen edamame and chopped pepper. Sauté vegetables for 5 minutes, or until crisp-tender. Remove pan from heat, and stir in cilantro, green onions, potstickers and Chili-Soy Dressing. Toss to combine and serve warm.

3 comments:

  1. Yum! This is definitely going to happen in my kitchen this week. I've also been eating edamame beans lately. They make me think of springtime...wishful thinking!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds really good. And easy. I'm going to check my grocery store to see if I can find frozen potstickers that are all veggie.
    I'm so envious of your post below with all the lovely citrus fruit. I'm a lover of all things citrus, but I very seldom buy oranges because they always seem to be dry and mealy. It's hard to get a good one. I stick to grapefruit. I seem to have better luck with them. I wish there was something like FruitShare around here. Now it's snowed again in Florida, so who knows what we'll get.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have never tried the potstickers, but it's good to know that they're good.

    I love a good edamame succotash, so this looks like a positively swell idea. And healthy too

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...