My Blog on WCCO-TV: Bite of Minnesota

Thursday, January 21, 2010

Helping Those In Need

Tuesday evening I participated in something wonderful. I was one of 40 Minnesota bloggers who came together to help people in need at Feed My Starving Children.



The blogger volunteer event was put together by Missy at The Marketing Mama, a person who I had never met in person or online. However, her offer was impossible for me to resist. I volunteer on a regular basis through my fantastic service sorority, Gamma Sigma Sigma, and I am constantly on the lookout for other ways to volunteer in the community. Of course I wanted to join other bloggers to help those in need!
Before we went to FMSC to bag meals, we had a networking session at Houlihan’s. I was eager to see a few people I knew, Kate (Kate in the Kitchen), Molly (Tastebud Tart), Liz (Kitchen Pantry Scientist & Creative Mama), Andrea (Blah Blah Babycakes), Paul (MN Headhunter) and Kate-Madonna (Girl Meets Geek). I was also excited to meet a few people whose blogs I’ve been introduced to lately. While I didn’t get to talk to everyone as in depth as I had hoped, I have no doubt we’ll be getting together again in the future.

Red Gold & Annie’s Naturals were so excited about our volunteer efforts that we walked away with some swag too:


(I have to admit, I was already sent a giant can of these and have yet to blog about it. Perhaps a giveaway soon?)


(I ate the bunny grahams and half the fruit snacks already – delish!)

Volunteering at Feed My Starving Children was an eye opener. While many countries already rely on meals from FMSC, the recent earthquake in the struggling country of Haiti has only deepened the need for support.

After a short orientation, we got to work at our stations to assemble the meal packets:



For those who haven’t volunteered here before, each meal pack consists of the following:

1 scoop of dehydrated chicken powder:



1 scoop of dehydrated veggies:



1 cup of textured vegetable protein (TVP):



And 1 cup of rice:



After the bags are sealed and labeled, they look like this:



Our group along with other volunteers packed 13,824 meals that will feed 38 kids for 1 year.  While those numbers are exciting, the reality is that we used $2,350.08 in raw materials.  Ouch!  That's a lot of money!  Our hands helped pack those meals, but our pocketbooks need to do some helping too.  So, what else can you do?

Log onto http://www.fmsc.org/ and click on the "donate" button in the upper right hand corner.  A $30 donation will feed 6 children for a month.  Don't have $30 to donate?  Sign up to volunteer onsite.  Bring your spare change and dump it in the bucket.  Buy merchandise.  Spread the word.

Do something.

*Read blog posts from others who participated here.

6 comments:

  1. Love it! Wish I could have joined you, but nice to get to know other Minnesota bloggers through your posts. Can't wait to see you tomorrow night!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great recap. It was great to meet you and talk to you and hope to get to see you in real life again sometime soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your recap. It was great meeting you, and I'll be forever grateful for you helping me figure out how the heck to find the building. I might just keep your cell phone # on speed dial. Thank you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an amazing night! So thrilled to be part of this awesome thing - together, we really can make a difference!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Read about this event on Kate's blog -- and just love the whole idea behind it! Sounds like it was a wonderful experience for all of you... and what a fantastic impact it will have!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful event! I have been wanting to volunteer over there!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...