My Blog on WCCO-TV: Bite of Minnesota

Monday, January 25, 2010

Heart-Healthy Cookies? Yep.

Cookies! Who doesn’t love cookies? Over the years I have been pretty loyal to one kind: chocolate chip. No, I don’t want oats and I especially don’t want nuts in my cookies. Just give me the plain chocolate chip kind and I’ll be good. Until now…


I was paging through a Vegetarian Times and came across a recipe for “The Heart-Healthiest Chocolate Chip Cookies in the World” and thought, “yeah right, they probably taste like chalk.” So, I kept paging through the magazine only to land on the recipe again, this time realizing I had all the ingredients and should give it a try.

Um, hello, delicious! With only 3 tablespoons of oil and 1 cup of brown sugar, I couldn’t believe these tasted so good. I love how some of my chocolate chips melted just a tad to make the batter a bit chocolaty too.



The Omega-3's from the walnuts and whole grains from the oats make these much heart-healthier than normal chocolate chip cookies.  Forget white flour and white sugar, make these soon! The recipe makes 30 cookies, so be prepared to share.


Note: Make oat flour by grinding it in a coffee grinder. Also, I had to bake my cookies a little longer than called for in the recipe.

Enjoy!

7 comments:

  1. Ok, you've twisted my arm, I'll make 'em! Thanks a ton for the note about the oat flour. The recipe jump from 2 c rolled oats to "whisk together oat flour..." would probably have really thrown me off, with a potentially bad outcome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love one of those cookies for dessert, RIGHT NOW!!! We were just talking about cookies and I said my favorite are Oatmeal - but with chocolate, no raisins!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I baked this weekend, too! I have an all-star oatmeal cookie recipe that I LOVE, although it could be because of the CUP of butter that it calls for . . . !!! :)

    Did you bake any bread this weekend? I made doughs, but haven't baked anything yet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. those look great! i immediately forwarded this recipe to my mom and dad (they would be a nice treat in his post heart attack menu!).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, I am from Taiwan, and I am running a website, VegTomato, http://www.vegtomato.org/, to advocate vegetarianism, which is non-commerical and profit website. May I have your permission to use some of your recipe/article and translate it into Chinese and post it in my website to inspire people go vegetarianism/veganism? I will link back and credit it to you!!

    Best,

    Patrick

    ReplyDelete
  6. VegTomato - I wish I had your e-mail address so I could respond. Feel free to e-mail me, my address is linked on the right.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Crystal,

    I have send you an e-mail, please check it^_^

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...