My Blog on WCCO-TV: Bite of Minnesota

Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Citrus FruitShare

My new year is getting off to a great start. Sure, it’s totally freezing outside (well, technically below freezing), but overall I feel pretty good. Luckily I started my workout routine a few months back and already see results in the form of a lower body fat percentage. In addition to that, my triglyceride level has dropped for the first time in years, so I must be doing something right.

Back when I became concerned about my triglyceride level (don’t worry folks, it’s just a few points above normal, so nothing outrageous), one of the tips the doctor gave me was to incorporate citrus fruits into my diet. I eat plenty of lemons and limes as it is, but do not often buy grapefruit or oranges as they taste so blah from the grocery store. So, when I saw a postcard for FruitShare advertising a box of citrus fruits, I had to find out more.



FruitShare founder, Everett Myers, was incredibly helpful. A farmer himself, he realized a need existed for organic fruits (especially citrus) here in Minnesota. For the citrus share, he sourced from farms in Texas and California where he built long-lasting relationships with like-minded farmers to bring the best organic citrus to us.



If you follow me on Twitter, you know that I ordered a box again this year and was so thrilled to brighten up my winter. What you see in the picture above is 20 pounds of citrus fruits: grapefruit, clementines, satsumas and navel oranges. I love freshly squeezed grapefruit juice and the juice from these grapefruits is incredibly smooth and not tart or bitter like conventional grapefruit.



The clementines and satsumas have been day brighteners for about a month now. Both are such an easy snack to enjoy.



I have juiced a couple oranges for cocktails (tequila sunrise anyone?) and plan to make candied citrus peels as well.

When I picked up my FruitShare, Everett mentioned an upcoming share of limes, Meyer lemons, and some other citrus. It seems to be right up my alley and I might just have to get more citrus. Find out more about ordering fruit on the newly revamped FruitShare website.

If your business is interested in stocking FruitShare postcards, serving as a pick-up site, or offering fruit to your employees, contact myself or Everett and he'll get you set up.

9 comments:

  1. I got this same (I think) share through Cooks of Crocus Hill and have really been enjoying it. However some sadness descended on Sunday when I realized I was eating the last grapefruit. So nice to have so much citrus just ready and waiting in my fridge instead of having to think about picking some up every week at the store.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've had pretty good citrus this winter both from the Wedge and Mississippi Market. Cara Cara oranges are my favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kris - I know, the last grapefruit was a sad moment for me too :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Catherine - I really love Mississippi Market. Their new location is beautiful too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a great concept. Wish I was closer, I'd be ALL about it!

    My triglycerides were a bit high the last time I had a cholesterol test myself... maybe I need to think citrus.

    ReplyDelete
  6. But wait! I just realized I don't have to be in Minnesota to order from fruitshare! (apparently SOMEone needs to read a bit closer before posting her comment)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I need a citrus fruitshare - I just had a grapefruit the other night and it tasted so GOOD to me!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That sounds fantatic. I definitely could use more citrus in my diet!

    By the way, thanks for entering the Gaiam giveaway on my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great discovery. I'll have to explore further. I've been getting some great organic clementines at my local food co-op. thanks for the info!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...