My Blog on WCCO-TV: Bite of Minnesota

Thursday, December 17, 2009

Simple Side Dish: Roasted Brussels Sprouts

Is it just me or is cooking inspiration lacking in others too? I blame the weather. Who wants to go grocery shopping when the temperature is hovering around zero? I also blame the holidays. Instead of making a meal planning list, I’m making gift shopping lists.

So, instead of trying new ingenious meals, I’ve looked around my kitchen for items to use up. We’ve eaten a lot of hodgepodge meals lately like a trio of side dishes or a small meal with a bigger dessert. One of my favorite recent meals would have to be Roasted Brussels Sprouts alongside Roasted Delicata Squash. Simple, easy, light, and totally local.



We had planned on making a fresh salad from the Brussels sprouts from our winter crop share. However, we did not use them fast enough and they started to wilt. So, after a little damage control (tossing the wilted yellow leaves & halving the sprouts), they were tossed with a bit of olive oil, salt and pepper and baked at 425° for 25 or so minutes. I grated a bit of Parmesan cheese on top for extra flavor.



The light dinner gave us an excuse for a big piece of pumpkin pie with freshly whipped cream. Mmm…delicious!

4 comments:

  1. Your squash is so pretty sliced like that! It looks beautiful! (I hear you on lack of inspiration as well)I'm trying to clean out fridge/cupboards....so things have been a little on the boring side for me too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK, I'm totally all for the lighter dinner, bigger dessert concept! Plus, pumpkin is a good source of antioxidants, right???? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Roasting them is how I finally learned to like Brussels sprouts. I grew up in a family that only boiled them, and that's gross to me. But roasted? Yum.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very pretty! I am hitting that mid winter slump. I was so excited about the fall/winter harvest and now I'm wondering what's new to cook. Of course, there are always holiday treats to make, which also may be why I'm in a slump -- a sugar slump.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...