My Blog on WCCO-TV: Bite of Minnesota

Monday, December 14, 2009

On Being Sick

I have been in total hibernation and out of touch with the world for four straight days. I barely used my computer, did not leave the house, and definitely did not speak on the phone. That’s right, I was sick. No, I wasn’t suffering the dreaded H1N1, I had your garden variety head cold which put me out of touch for awhile.

Problem is: I’m not very good at being sick.

The first day, I felt the symptoms coming on, but chose to ignore them as if they were a fluke. Just in case, I down a bunch of Emergen-C, super nutritious smoothies and a bunch of liquids.

The next day, the symptoms worsen and I accept that I could possibly be sick. Hating to pass it onto anyone else, I cancel lunch plans with a friend, miss out on the Simple, Good & Tasty event, and skip my networking meeting where Jason DeRusha was guest speaking. Bummer.

I try to rest, really, I do. But, I’m just not that good at sitting still. I alternate reading a book and catching up on chores like laundry, cleaning, and cooking. I even make dinner.


(Cashew Quinoa Stir-Fry from Veganomican)

By the third day, I’m sick of being sick. Being cooped up for too long and not being able to socialize, I’m tempted to go to a friend’s birthday party with my husband, but remind myself that my energy level would only last 1-2 hours (and I’m probably contagious). So, I stay home and read all 579 pages of my book while sitting on the couch. How’s that for sitting still?

By the fourth day, although still tied to the box of tissues and had yet to leave the house, things are starting to look up. I can confidently say, “Yes, I can meet for lunch next week”. My life is no longer on hold. So here I am, finally crafting a blog post and feeling a lot better.

Take that sickness!

2 comments:

  1. I tend to ignore my sicknesses as well... drinking a bunch of smoothies and Emergen-C and such. But honestly since going vegan, I've never had a sickness last more than a day or two, and they come extremely rarely. hooray to feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry you've been sick. I'm so like you when I get sick. I usually stay home one day, then just head back to work out of boredome.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...