My Blog on WCCO-TV: Bite of Minnesota

Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Chex Mix & Mingle Event

I’m excited to share my experiences from the Chex Mix & Mingle event yesterday. Now before you start thinking that I drank the Kool-Aid, I’m going to tell you right now that you’re wrong. I ate the Chex Mix (hee hee):



I’ve always been a fan of homemade Chex Mix (um, hello to polishing off a whole bag of my mother-in-law’s recipe), but when I received an invite to an event featuring Chex Mix and Katie Lee (as in the one formerly married to Billy Joel), I was a bit apprehensive. I’m not a fan of Katie Lee and figured it was just a gimmick to get me to buy her new cookbook. After doing a bit of research, I realized the event was focused on Chex Mix and considering I’ve been chatting with the General Mills/Betty Crocker folks lately, I figured it would be a great opportunity to “mix and mingle”.



If you haven’t been out to the General Mills campus, you need to visit this place! I passed a Caribou Coffee, a bank, a hair salon, and even a mini-grocery store stocked with General Mills products. Their employees can never say, “I didn’t have time to run to the grocery store”!







The group attending was pretty small, probably under 100 people. We sat in the auditorium to learn more about “America’s Most Trusted Kitchens” and hear a bit from Katie Lee about holiday entertaining.

Interesting Fact: Everyday at 4pm, 50% of consumers don’t know what they are having for dinner.



Afterwards, we were ushered into the gorgeous Betty Crocker Kitchens to try the Top 5 recipes in the Chex Mix Recipe Contest. With names like Lemon Rosemary, Deviled, Chexicago, Pumpkin Pie Crunch & Buffalo, I had to try them all. America voted for the winner, which was announced at the event and it was my personal favorite as well: Buffalo Chex Mix.

I have to admit, I’m now really tempted to throw a Chex Mix party of my own to try all the great recipes again. I wonder which one my friends would vote to win.

We also received Katie Lee’s new cookbook, The Comfort Table, Recipes for Everyday Occasions, and she autographed the books. 



After some more mingling, I was whisked off to another area of the Betty Crocker Kitchens where we got to be crafty. You know me, I love crafts and I love food, so what a great combination. They showed us how to make simple gifts using Chex Mix. It was so dead easy that I put them together very quickly and went back to socializing (and eating more Chex Mix). Here’s a picture of me with one of the gift ideas, a recipe box:


I did mention they are gorgeous kitchens, right?

We walked away with some swag:



Overall, it was a great afternoon and I came home on a post-event high. I met a lot of fabulous people and I even found a few recipes I’m going to try from Katie Lee’s book. I am glad to walk away with some hostess gift ideas too.



FTC Disclosure: I received everything mentioned for free, courtesy of General Mills in exchange for attending the event. I drove my own car and paid for my own gas.

8 comments:

  1. Look at that swag bag! Looks like a fabulous event.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Buffalo Chex Mix - "buffalo" as in spicy like buffalo wings? If so, that sounds excellent!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep, Kris, buffalo as in spicy like buffalo wings. She used hot sauce and celery salt to get the taste combo right. It was fantastic! The recipe is in the Chex Mix link...try it out and let me know what you think.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Color me jealous!

    So glad you paid for your own gas. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Crystal! I'm Monica Flatford the winner and creator of the Buffalo Chex Mix. I'm sorry I don't think I was able to meet you on Tuesday. I met soo many people my head was swimming by the end of the event. I'm so happy you enjoy my mix. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, wasn't that an unexpectedly fun trip?

    I'm afraid I'm one of the 50% of consumers don’t know what they are having for dinner at 4pm most days :) It's not so much that I have NO idea, I just could never tell you exactly how the ingredients in my pantry/fridge are going to come together... exactly. I guess I'm in good company, though I'm not sure what this says about me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What, not everyone thinks about what to cook for dinner as soon as s/he wakes up, like me?

    On an unrelated note: as a Chicagoan, I am compelled to ask what "Chexicago" is like. I did google it, and I must confess that it does not sound good or Chicagolike in any way--what am I missing?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...