My Blog on WCCO-TV: Bite of Minnesota

Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Teeny Tiny Sweet Potato Fries

You know when people say that summers are crazy and there’s not enough time in the day? While I agree summers can be busy, so is fall, winter and spring, at least for me. Plus, the days are actually shorter, so it feels like I have to cram in more stuff in a shorter time period.

Take these last two weeks for example. I remember saying that my calendar looked pretty free. I think I jinxed it because I now have a full calendar. Not that I’m complaining because I do like to keep busy, but it’s funny how things can change so quickly.

That is why simple meals come in handy. The other night Ryan and I were teetering on getting take-out because we were pressed for time and didn’t want to make an involved dinner, but we really couldn’t bring ourselves to eat out again. Veggie burgers to the rescue!


I sautéed peppers, onions and mushrooms and threw them on top of a veggie burger on toasted whole-grain bread. Ryan mentioned his work friend had made shoestring sweet potato fries recently, so I thinly sliced a couple sweet potatoes and baked them for 30 or so minutes.

This meal was completely satisfying and best of all, much cheaper and healthier than any take-out joint. Smart!

I’m off to attend Art Heals with Free Arts Minnesota. It’s their annual fundraising luncheon and I’m helping host a table. The kids, their stories and their artwork are amazing. I encourage you to check out this wonderful organization.

Tomorrow I attend the March of Dimes Signature Chef Auction courtesy of The Style Laboratory. It should be an unbelievable chef event and I’ll try to grab a few pics if allowed.

Have a great week!

8 comments:

  1. How do you get the sweet potato fries to get crispy? No matter what I do they always end up soft and pliable when I put them in the oven :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love sweet potato fries. I've tried them with cumin -- very yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been questioned before about the crispiness of sweet potato fries. While I'm no scientist, I do find that coating them with oil (not too much, not too little) helps. Then shaking the pan every minute or so towards the end of cooking helps. Remove the fries that are approaching doneness and keep cooking the others.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmm. Sweet potato fries. Love them.
    Have never made shoe-string fries -- but that's a good idea.

    Along with a good, hot, preheated oven, egg whites are also a good trick for getting them to crisp up in the oven. Just whip up an egg and toss with your oiled fries. Bake on parchment or non-stick foil.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your sauteed veggies look delicious! How did you cut them that thin?? I suppose I could use my mandoline....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love baked sweet potato fries. I always make them when I make veggie sloppy joes. A really hot oven will also help ensure crispness.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yum. I've finally learned to like sweet potatoes. I will have to try these shoestring fries. Last night I made "hash browns" with potatoes, butternut squash, sweet potatoes and red onions.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Goodness! That has to be one of the least vegan-looking plates I've ever seen... it just looks so meaty and hearty! Love it.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...