My Blog on WCCO-TV: Bite of Minnesota

Monday, November 23, 2009

Tahitian Vanilla Bean Coffee Liqueur - Vote!

Marx Foods has been gracious enough to offer more products to try, Tahitian and Madagascar Vanilla Beans. The only catch was that I had to photograph the vanilla beans either by themselves or incorporated into a dish and submit it for their first ever photo contest. I know, such a difficult requirement, right?

I eliminated photographing the vanilla beans by themselves because I’m not a professional photographer and couldn’t even do them justice.

I thought about making some kind of awesome dessert, but figured the vanilla beans would get lost in the dish.

After considering vanilla infused vodka, I came up with an even better idea – I’ll make my own Kahula!


It is surprisingly easy to create your own cordials and liqueurs as I have been doing some reading on it lately. It is not nearly as complicated as beer brewing and it doesn’t require any special equipment besides a glass storing jar or container.

Here’s the recipe I used. It’s loosely based off of Classic Liqueurs by Cheryl Long.

If you like this recipe and photograph, vote for me here. If I win, I can create more Marx Foods goodies for you.

Tahitian Vanilla Bean Coffee Liqueur

1 cup water
2 tbsp coffee (I used Peace Coffee)
1 ½ cups sugar
1 Tahitian vanilla bean, split lengthwise
1 ½ cups plain vodka (I used Shakers)
½ cup brandy
1/8 tsp crème de cacao (or chocolate extract)

Heat water in a pan or a tea kettle. Add coffee to a coffee filter, tie with cooking twine and add to hot water. Steep for four minutes, then remove coffee filter.

Add sugar and vanilla bean and heat to boiling. Once boiling, reduce heat and keep at a low boil for 1 minute before turning heat off. Set aside to cool to room temperature.

Once mixture is cooled, add vodka, brandy, and cream de cacao to a large glass jar. Pour in coffee mixture (including vanilla bean) and stir well. Set in a cool, dark place for three weeks.

After three weeks, strain mixture several times through a fine wire mesh strainer. Remove and discard vanilla beans. Reseal jar and store in a cool, dark place for an additional 2 months before enjoying over ice or in a White Russian cocktail.

4 comments:

  1. I need this drink. Right now.

    I'm using vanilla beans to make sweet potatoes on Thanksgiving. I've never cooked with them before.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE this idea! What a great gift too! Thank you!!!! I'll go vote now :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow. I'll be right over.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...