My Blog on WCCO-TV: Bite of Minnesota

Friday, November 6, 2009

Scrumptious Spring Rolls

Shopping at ethnic groceries is quite enjoyable for me. I love discovering new products and being reminded of others that I should try. Often times I tend to buy items that I don’t need or have any plans to use in the immediate future. I promise myself I’ll figure out how to use the product and make something awesome. Such was the case with the rice paper wrappers I purchased over a year ago (maybe even two years ago) on an exploration shopping trip.


I was comforted by the fact that if I ever wanted to make spring rolls, I could. I’m not sure why this brings comfort as my mom never stocked up on food for “just in case” moments. Maybe it’s one of those latent genes that I got from my grandma. All I know is that I finally made spring rolls and realize all that I missed out on.


Although making spring rolls involves a lot of preparation, they are a snap to put together. I pulled out an old recipe from Cooking Light for Vietnamese Summer Rolls. While it isn't spring or summer, these rolls are a great way to pack in a bunch of veggies.

I broke out the mandolin to cut carrots and cucumber, stripped cilantro and mint from the stems, soaked cellophane noodles, and rinsed bean sprouts and butter lettuce.


After soaking the rice paper in cold water, simply layer the ingredients in the wrapper and start rolling. These were served with the suggested dipping sauce which was good, but needed a bit more flair. The linked recipe is a little different from what I did, so play around a bit with the ingredients. Use what works for you!


This is a contribution to Food Renegade’s Fight Back Fridays.

7 comments:

  1. I haven't made spring rolls in ages! Thanks for the reminder, and I'm sure I have some rice paper wrappers languishing somewhere in my cupboards!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was just thinking about how spring rolls sound good!!! (And you reminded me that I have a quite large assortment of food from the Asian Grocery store that has not been touched in a looooong time)
    Love the new look of the blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love spring rolls, but they always looked too complicated to make. Now I want to try them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey! Answering your question about persimmons:

    The two different kinds of persimmons are eaten at different stages of "squishiness," I've heard (and tried.) The short, squat kind I got (I think they are hachiyas?) you can eat when semi-firm to soft, but the other type (the taller, more narrow variety, I think fuyus,) you eat when VERY soft. Either way, they are super-sweet and tasty! I always use my nose as my best guide -- when they smell yummy, they are ready to eat!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love spring rolls I have been making them at home for a few months now! It is less money to make them then pay for them at the store! YUm I eat mine with a peanut sauce 8oz hosin and 1 tbs peanut butter and 1 tbs water! its so good!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I adore spring rolls! They look amazing! I never made my own before. I definitely need to.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love making spring rolls, and yours look terrific! It's a great way to involve kids in the meal, too. My 4 yo requests them frequently because he can 'make his own'.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...