My Blog on WCCO-TV: Bite of Minnesota

Friday, October 16, 2009

Smoky Black Bean Tacos with Garlicky Greens

Figured I’d do a quick post here today as it’s been a weird week. I kept thinking yesterday was Friday and now that it is actually Friday, I think it is Saturday because my husband took the day off work. We all have those weeks where things just don’t make sense, right?

We’ve been on a Swiss chard kick lately and for good reason – it is only $1 a bunch at the market. I realized that I like it a lot more when I don’t use the stalk. I think most of the nutrients are in the green leaves, so hopefully I’m not missing out on too much.

I picked up a few outdated magazines at a cook’s garage sale and Smoky Black Bean Tostadas with Garlicky Greens from Vegetarian Times stood out as one to try. We decided to go the taco route instead of tostadas, but followed the rest of this simple recipe as instructed.

I used black beans that I had cooked myself (successfully I may add), sliced up an avocado as an extra ingredient and used some of my homemade salsa instead of the chipotle salsa.

These tacos were super quick to make. Although I usually try to pick out simple recipes, this one was done in about 20 minutes. I’m not used to dinner being done so quickly. Most nights we eat around 8:30-9:00pm, but this was on our plates by 5:30pm – whoa!

Try this recipe for yourself. The great spices and the added garlicky greens made these way better than our boring quickie plain black bean/avocado tacos. By the way, I have a ton of queso fresco left over - any suggestions on how to use it?

This post is a contribution to Food Renegade's Fight Back Fridays.

2 comments:

  1. Ooooohhhhh . . . yum! I love black beans, and I LOOOOOOVE queso fresco!

    You could make chile rellenos with your leftover queso fresco?

    P.S. I'm glad the home-cooked black beans worked!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well you'll just have to make more Mexican food with the queso fresco! I remember it makes great enchiladas. More of the tacos wouldn't be a bad idea either - they look delicious!

    PS - I love swiss chard stalks.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...