My Blog on WCCO-TV: Bite of Minnesota

Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Simple Brussels Sprouts Salad

Awhile back in the blogger world, it was pretty vogue to post a pic of your fridge for all to see. It was kind of like a peek inside someone's life, which is always cool.

I never posted a fridge shot last time around, but luckily, City Pages Hot Dish invited me to share and did a little write up on it.

One of the items in my fridge were brussels sprouts and I had them front and center (well, bottom and center) so I wouldn't forget they were in there. A lot of folks do not like brussels sprouts. I tend to believe that's because they've only had the mushy stinky variety. It's unfortunate because brussels sprouts are totally yummy if prepared in the right way. Sometimes I roast them, sometimes I put them in a veggie hash, but often times I just prepare this simple salad:

All you have to do is slice the brussels sprouts very thinly, toss with the juice of 1/2 a lemon and a pinch of salt and pepper. Then add 1-2 tablespoons of olive oil, some chopped toasted walnuts, and grate Parmesan or Asiago cheese on top and toss again. Let it sit in the fridge for an hour or so to let the flavors meld.

We served this alongside a homemade deep dish pizza and I have to say that a mix of pizza and brussels sprouts salad kind of rocked.

Check out the fridge shot here: http://blogs.citypages.com/food/2009/10/fridge_shot_wcc.php

The uber organization is all my husband, Ryan. He likes to have things quite accessible and in the right spots. I'm the one who just throws things in there.

10 comments:

  1. The brussel sprouts are raw? I've got some in the fridge - this would be a great salad for tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks amazing! I've sauteed 'em before, chopped 'em up and added sprouts to pasta dishes. I really like them; never had them raw though - I'll try this salad!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think I've ever had them raw either - I loooove them roasted!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yep, the brussels sprouts are raw. Just peel off any outer leaves that are damaged or dried out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmmmm must try this, I love brussel sprouts! Totally underated veggie.

    ReplyDelete
  6. YUM! I love brussels sprouts but have never tried them raw. This sounds fantastic. Another fave way to prep them is to steam them and mash them with potatoes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yum! I've never tried them raw either -- I definitely want to make this soon! Adding Brussels sprouts to the weekend shopping list. . . .

    ReplyDelete
  8. We just started harvesting our brussels on the stem. They are a beautiful sight. The stems are so thick (they've been growing since May!) that we cut them all down with a sawzall. Inevitably we pop a couple raw ones in our mouth while harvesting and they are surprisingly good. I have read about peeling all the individual leaves off the brussels sprouts and then cooking those very lightly with olive oil/butter, salt, pepper and spices. But the time commitment for that is just incredible!! Maybe on a very cold Sunday in November we can try that out. Hope you guys are doing well. We are making Red Velvet Beet Cupcakes with cream cheese frosting to keep us warm on these last cold days of harvesting.
    -Laura

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can't wait to try this salad!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love Brussels Sprouts but I’ve never really had them “raw” until now. I love your recipe but I also want to share mine with you – my recipe is so simple but SOOO good!!! http://cuceesprouts.com/2010/09/shaved-brussels-sprouts-salad/

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...