My Blog on WCCO-TV: Bite of Minnesota

Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Maple Roasted Acorn Squash

It is definitely squash season in our house. Earlier this week I had a variety sitting on my counter: buttercup, butternut, acorn and two pumpkins. There was no way I’d let any of it go to waste. I was particularly apprehensive about the acorn squash as it wasn’t really good last time when it was stuffed with tempeh and wild rice. I think it lacked seasoning and the whole thing was quite dry. It just didn’t work for me. So, this time I really wanted to find the perfect recipe and it was a success!


This recipe was so simple and our house smelled like Thanksgiving thanks to the use of sage and thyme. The apples brought just the perfect sweetness to contrast the savory squash flavor. If you don’t have acorn squash, feel free to substitute another kind and it should work just as well.

Maple-Roasted Acorn Squash
(4 servings)

1 small acorn squash (about 1 lb.), halved lengthwise, seeded
¼ tsp salt
¼ tsp pepper
2 ½ tbsp unsalted butter
1 cup diced onion
2-3 large apples (I used Haralson), unpeeled, cored and diced
1 tbsp pine nuts
1 tbsp fresh sage, chopped
1 ½ tsp fresh thyme, chopped
2 tbsp pure maple syrup
Thyme sprigs, for garnish

Preheat oven to 350°. Spray roasting pan and cut sides of squash halves with cooking spray; season with half the salt and pepper. Arrange squash, cut side down in pan. Cover pan tightly with foil. Bake 30 minutes. Uncover pan; turn squash cut side up. Bake 30 minutes and remove from oven.

Meanwhile, heat 1 tablespoon of the butter in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and sauté 5 minutes. Add apples, nuts, sage, thyme, and remaining salt and pepper; sauté 3 more minutes.

Dot squash with remaining butter. Divide apple mixture equally among the squash halves, mounding it in the cavity. Drizzle each with 1 tablespoon maple syrup. Bake, uncovered an additional 20 minutes. Serve hot; garnish with thyme sprigs.

8 comments:

  1. Ohhhh. That looks really good. Need to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks delicious! I'd love to make it for an upcoming Vegan Thanksgiving event I'll be attending in November. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! I will definitely be making that this fall! Apples + squash = Awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want squash right now! Actually, I'll have to wait until the weekend when I can get to Mpls Farmers' Market. I want to see what they have!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now I know what to do with the two enormous acorn squash that I got at the farmers' market. No more languishing in my fridge. You're my hero!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm interested in printing an excerpt from one of your blog posts in the Pioneer Press. Please contact me as soon as possible if you are interested.

    Thanks,
    Alleen
    abrown@pioneerpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just finished eating this. Delicious and easy to make. I'm excited for the next time I can make it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Loved this recipe. I just made it for my wife and she gave it rave reviews. I love the layers of flavor and aroma. Bookmarked!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...