My Blog on WCCO-TV: Bite of Minnesota

Monday, October 12, 2009

Fondue For You

On Saturday morning, I was a guest on the Fresh & Local radio show on AM950. My secret desire is to host a radio show someday, so this gave me a taste of the radio experience without the stress of planning a whole show format. Susan Berkson and Bonnie Dehn, the hosts, made us feel completely at ease and it truly felt like we were having a conversation amongst friends.

Susan and Bonnie turned it over to the guests to discuss what we’d make with ingredients found at the farmers market. I knew just what to do with Brussels sprouts, apples, sweet potatoes, green beans, and squash: fondue!

My friend gifted me with a fondue pot last year I’ve been eager to use it, but was waiting for the right time. Considering my front yard is covered with snow and it is already time to break out the winter jacket, I could think of no better time than now.

Right after the radio show, Ryan and I headed to the Minneapolis Farmers Market (in the freezing cold!) and shopped for the goods picking up tiny baby Brussels sprouts and some Eichten Farms smoked Gouda.

We steamed the Brussels sprouts and asparagus, roasted the onion and sweet potato and chopped up a Haralson apple.

The Gouda was melted with Emmentaler cheese and combined with white wine, pomegranate liqueur, rosemary, cornstarch, and rehydrated Matsutake mushrooms from Marx Foods.

There are tons of fondue recipes out there. Feel free to experiment with various cheeses and alcohols (beer, brandy, wine, etc.). Pretty much anything can be dipped – just make sure it stays on your skewer! Our personal favorite was apple and brussels. Be sure to keep the fondue over a heat source otherwise the cheese will seize up.

The radio show should be up here today or tomorrow. The show is done in four segments, so be sure to listen to them all as my fellow guests were awesome and full of great information. I haven’t heard it yet, but I’m eager to hear the whole thing.

9 comments:

  1. After your suggestion on Saturday morning we relayed your great idea to a buddy who has been talking up his mother's beer cheddar cheese fondue for years. After just a little prompting and a lot of beer he agreed to make it for us during the Vikings game the next day.

    Whew, he wasn't kidding, it was damn good and while we only dipped in bread and some apples, it was really nice finally getting our forks wet with some yummy cheese.

    My wife asked her mother if she has her old fondue pot from 20+ years ago and if not we're going to do some thrift store shopping to find ourselves one. Mmmm mmmm good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm coming to your house for dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never thought about dipping brussel sprouts! Yum! And gouda in fondue? That sounds great too, I've usually just stuck with the classic recipe but I guess I will have to venture out this year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks absolutely AMAZING. And perfect for these cold (WTF?!) days/nights lately.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Crystal, that fondue looks so delicious! I have a few fondue pots, big and small, but have not used them yet. I bought out of curiosity.....my usual weakness....hehe. It's sure time to take them out to use.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We love fondue -- great, messy family meal! Once again, you inspire me with the Brussels sprouts. We bought some at the farmers' market, so we'll have to decide between that salad you posted and fondue.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations on the radio gig! I love Brussels sprouts. I'm imagining all that lovely produce and a big pot of vegan fondue!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello Crystal!
    I`m Marissa Felix, felix.marissa@hotmail.com

    I love the way you present the recipes and how you explain them, and it is also wonderful to know you trough your experience in every receip you share.

    I`m in Mexico and you inspire me to be once in Cafè Cyan. I`m vegetarian and almost organic. I`m about to prepare this receipt I just found all the organic vegetebles, I`m just missing the Gouda, Emmentaler cheese and pomegranate liqueur I don`t know where can I find them, can you explain me more about what they are or how the labels look, I have never use them or if you can tell me how I can substitute them with other ingredients I would appreciate it!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...