My Blog on WCCO-TV: Bite of Minnesota

Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Leftover Couscous

Awhile back I made Roasted Vegetable Couscous and had so much leftover couscous that I asked my readers for suggestions. While breakfast couscous sounded awesome, the couscous had already been steamed in veggie broth and a veggie broth-cranberry-walnut combo didn’t sound appetizing for breakfast. Ratatouille sounded yummy, but was very similar to what I already made. Fortunately, Carrie came to the rescue with a garlic quiche using the couscous as the crust - how smart!

I started by sautéing onion and garlic. I definitely would have used ramps if they were in season, but that season has long passed us, so instead I used garlic purchased at Garlic Fest.


The crust part was easy. Simply mix butter with the leftover couscous and press it into a pie plate.


The crust was filled with sautéed onion and garlic, eggs, milk, cheese, tomato, and cilantro.

While the quiche was baking, I prepared my new favorite green bean recipe. Basically it’s a bunch of spices mixed with Dijon to coat the green beans. We had a bunch of haricots verts from the farmers market, so they were an easy substitute.

Surprisingly, my couscous crust stayed together (I’m not too talented in the area of crusts) and it browned nicely.

The beans were a perfect spicy side dish to the mellow oniony quiche.


Pan Seared Green Beans
adapted from the Pioneer Press

(6 servings)

1 lb. green beans, trimmed
1 tbsp Dijon mustard
¼ tsp cayenne pepper
½ tsp paprika
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp chile powder
1 clove garlic, minced
½ tsp salt

In a large bowl, combine green beans, mustard, cayenne pepper, paprika, cumin, chile powder, garlic and salt. Toss to coat beans.

Heat large skillet over high heat until almost smoking. Add beans, being careful not to crowd the pan. Cook in 2 batches if necessary. Cook beans, without disturbing for 5 minutes or until charred patches appear. Toss beans. Cook for 3 to 5 minutes.

To serve, transfer beans to bowl or plate. Serve immediately.

12 comments:

  1. I can attest that the beans are awesome! The couscous quiche looks delicious :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting crust! Gonna have to try that trick one day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is such a great idea, I have to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The green beans look so good! I love green beans!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Couscous crust -- what a great idea!
    I love it when leftovers can be re-purposed into something equally as wonderful as the initial product!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Grandma Barb9/18/2009 1:04 PM

    I love green beans and this sounds so good! Also love the idea of the cous cous crust for a quiche. Will try it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ok, maybe I'm making this for dinner instead.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I made the quiche this weekend,except with sauteed smoked bacon instead of the garlic. It was extremely popular - so no more wasted couscous in future!

    Chris Peacock

    ReplyDelete
  9. Any chance you could give me some more precise measurements for the quiche ingredients? I'm a "by the book" kinda gal. At least how many eggs and how much milk?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anon - here's the link to the recipe mentioned above: http://janetishungry.blogspot.com/2007/05/onion-and-wild-garlic-quiche-with.html

    ReplyDelete
  11. thank you!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...