My Blog on WCCO-TV: Bite of Minnesota

Monday, September 14, 2009

It’s My Birthday!

Well, okay, so it was my birthday on Saturday, but I can still celebrate, right? I still have at least one more birthday get-together this week, so it isn’t officially over.

It’s been a bit hectic around here, hence the lack in posting. First, we had our trip up north with the fam. Everything went quite well and it was enjoyable to spend extended time with everyone.
Remember how I was bringing a few veggie based dishes to the cabin? Luckily, almost everyone was willing to try them. We did breakfasts of biscuits and gravy, granola and yogurt and delicious blueberry cornmeal pancakes. For lunch we brought homemade pizza dough and topped the pizzas with little yellow tomatoes. The sloppy lentils were a hit at lunch. Both the kids and the adults liked them. It’s key to use French green lentils so the whole thing doesn’t turn out mushy. For dinner, I made veggie stuffed poblanos. The reviews were mixed. Some liked only the filling and not the pepper while others loved the pepper, but not the filling. Although we took some leftovers home because I made too much food, I’d count it as a successful eating adventure.

Once home, we did a birthday celebration on Friday. We had a progressive dinner starting with these cute Taco Tart appetizers that my sister-in-law made:


She had never made them before, so she was excited to try out a new recipe. These appetizers were paired with margaritas and chips with queso.

Moving onto the next house, my mother-in-law made Greek Salad, a couscous dish with white beans, walnuts and kale, and the drink was a current fav of mine, Vodka Rosemary Lemonade Fizz.

The final stop was our house and although we’re usually on top of making food, Ryan is under a work deadline and didn’t have time to make anything. Luckily, Coldstone came to our rescue with these super cute ice cream cupcakes.


We paired them with the best champagne ever, Veuve Clicquot, and had fun pronouncing the name in French accents throughout dessert. What a fun night! I’d love to do something like this again. It was fun to split up the duties and make the evening an experience to remember.

5 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday!!!
    I love how you celebrated with your family, what a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday Crystal!

    Hello, where was I when there were ice cream cupcakes being served?????

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy birthday! Sounds like you celebrated in style! I need to try out that cocktail recipe -- it sounds delicious. So do the sloppy lentils, but I am definitely the only person in my household who would enjoy those.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree that it was a really fun evening and a special way to celebrate your birthday!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...