My Blog on WCCO-TV: Bite of Minnesota

Friday, September 4, 2009

Four Cheese Ravioli with Mushrooms

The last few days have been filled with planning and packing. We’re heading out of town for a little while and I had to do some intense meal planning. Since I’m cooking for nine adults and three kids, my mind had to transform our typical 4-serving meals into much more. Plus, I’m feeding vegetarian meals to a meat and potatoes crowd, so I’m super nervous how much will be eaten. I’m sure someone will refuse to eat “my” food (dad, I’m looking at you), but I’m hoping everyone will be open minded to eating healthier.

I’m definitely not making anything containing mushrooms on vacation. My dad will pretty much die if a mushroom comes near him. No, he’s not allergic, just picky. So, I save my mushroom cooking for home. A favorite of mine is to pick up some ravioli from Trader Joes and top it with sautéed mushrooms. Easy and delicious.

We had some leftover kale, so it was added to the mushroom mixture. I feel so fancy when I eat something like this versus standard pasta and red sauce.

Here’s the recipe I used. I pretty much followed it, but reduced the butter to 2 tablespoons and added shredded kale when I added the wine.

Four-Cheese Ravioli with Mushrooms
Gourmet October 2006

2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 stick (1/4 cup) unsalted butter
2 medium shallots, thinly sliced crosswise
8 ounces presliced fresh cremini mushrooms
5 ounces presliced fresh shiitake caps
1/2 cup dry white wine
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 cup coarsely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
1 (16- to 20-oz) package fresh or frozen four-cheese ravioli

Heat oil and 2 tablespoons butter in a 12-inch heavy skillet over moderately high heat until foam subsides, then cook shallots, stirring, until golden, about 2 minutes.

Add mushrooms and increase heat to high, then sauté, stirring, until liquid mushrooms give off is evaporated and mushrooms are golden, about 4 minutes. Add wine and boil until liquid is evaporated and mushrooms are tender, about 2 minutes. Stir in salt, pepper, parsley, and remaining 2 tablespoons butter until butter is melted.

While mushrooms are sautéing, cook ravioli in a large pot of boiling salted water, stirring occasionally, until ravioli are al dente. Drain in a colander.

Return drained ravioli to large pot and add mushroom mixture, stirring gently until combined.

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE mushrooms and greens together! I'll often pick up a large handfull of mushrooms to slice into our greens. The tastes compliment each other so well! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is exactly what I needed to find today! I have some chard I need to use up quickly and some mushrooms at home, so this is exactly what I'm doing for dinner tonight. Thanks!

    <3 your blog by the way, subscribed, bookmarked, etc.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...