My Blog on WCCO-TV: Bite of Minnesota

Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Zucchini Lasagna Tart

The last two weeks have been crazy busy and most nights I’ve managed to cram in multiple activities which means I’m running from one thing to another. The large batch of Barley Lentil soup I made last week has helped in the meal department – at least we have something good to eat! However, there hasn’t been any time to be in the kitchen. This has been especially stressful because I had zucchini and summer squash in the fridge waiting for their day in the garbage (which I wasn’t going to let happen!)

Finally, Sunday evening, things slowed down for a day and I was able to make this Lasagna Tart I’d had my eye on and had originally bought the zucchini for. The recipe is from Heidi Swanson at 101 Cookbooks. Did I ever mention how much I love her recipes?

A lot of times I say a recipe was “so easy to make” and in most cases, they are totally easy to make. This one, however, was not “so easy to make”. First you make the tart crust, then you refrigerate it, then you bake it, then you fill it and bake it again…ugh, another 9pm dinner.

I highly recommend doing this: make and bake the crust ahead of time. That way you have the crust all ready to go when you want to fill it.

Even with all that hard work, this dish was super yummy! If I had the time, I’d definitely make this for others, but next time I’d double the sauce so there is some to pass alongside. This would be a great dish to make when we start to get an overflow of zucchini, which should be soon.

I was even able to use up the rest of the summer squash at a barbecue last night. I simply sliced it into 1/4 –inch slices lengthwise and tossed it with vegetable oil and fresh herbs before grilling for a couple minutes. We even had some picky eaters saying, “Yum!” and I felt great about not wasting my farmers market finds.

4 comments:

  1. Wow! That looks absolutely amazing!! I'm bookmarking that recipe. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so pretty! Can I please come to your cafe for some?? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it when I can use up the end of a stash! Great work.

    This looks positively scrumptious.
    Better than a pizza, no?

    ReplyDelete
  4. This darn heat has resulted in a deficit of tomatoes and zucchini, and everything else really. Your tart turned out beautiful!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...