My Blog on WCCO-TV: Bite of Minnesota

Thursday, August 27, 2009

Super Vegetable Curry

Today marks the first day of the Minnesota State Fair, also known as the Great Minnesota Get-Together and I'm totally there. Like, as in I'm sitting and blogging from the fair right now. How cool is that? WCCO was nice enough to invite me out and provide me with everything I'd need here at their building. Yay!

So far I've only tried a couple things: veggie fries (battered and fried cauliflower, broccoli, zucchini, onion, carrot and potato) and a delicious local organic watermelon courtesy of the EcoExperience Building. I have to escape from the computer and try their Chokecherry Maple Syrup Soda at some point today, but considering vendors keep delivering food, I may not need to get away!

For those of you who do not live in Minnesota and don't care about the fair, I leave you with this meal that I call Super Vegetable Curry. I was able to use local garlic and red rocket onion from Garlic Fest, cauliflower from Enberg's Produce, purple and green peppers and both wax and green beans all from the farmers market.

A couple years ago, I was close to throwing away a bunch of veggies from our CSA, but a fellow blogger, MeloMeals, came to my rescue with this dish. I change it from time to time to suit my needs, but the basics are still there.

Vegetable Curry
(6 servings)

2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 large onion
5 cloves garlic
1 jalapeño
2 tsp coriander seed
1 tsp cumin
1 tbsp curry powder
¼ tsp cinnamon
4 tbsp grated ginger root
1 large purple bell pepper
1 large yellow squash
1 large green pepper
1 14 oz. can diced tomatoes
1 ½ cups (or 1 15 oz. can) garbanzo beans
¾ cup mango chutney
1 cup veggie stock
Salt and pepper
Juice of 1 lime
¼ cup cilantro, chopped
Diced red onion, for garnish

In a very large wok pan, heat oil, spices, garlic, onion, jalapeno, and ginger until fragrant, about 10 minutes. If needed, add a bit of stock to keep the spices and garlic from burning. Throw the rest of the veggies, except red onions and cilantro, along with the tomatoes and stock. Bring to a strong simmer and add more stock if needed. Stir in the chutney and garbanzo beans and cook for 15 minutes. Taste and adjust seasoning. Just before serving, squeeze lime juice over dish, stir in cilantro, and top with red onion. Serve over brown basmati rice.

8 comments:

  1. I like hearing about the fair!!! I wish I was there hanging out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The curry looks fantastic! Enjoy the Fair!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, I actually have all of these ingredients on hand (except the purple pepper; I have tons of green ones from our CSA though). I'll have to try this recipe out.

    Have fun at the fair and eat yourself silly!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks amazing! I am definitely saving and making this recipe! Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. wishing corn dogs and pronto pups had meatless dogs as an option
    seems like they are overlooking some $$ to be made from vegetarians

    ReplyDelete
  6. Deb - totally, it would be great if they had meatless dogs there too. Maybe someday! I feel the fair has definitely upped their healthy options and I wouldn't be surprised if we see more in the next year or so.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mmmm! Love a throw-together curry. They're the best.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yum! I just made this (with a few substitutions) for dinner! Quick and easy...great way to use my CSA veggies along with a few pantry items.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...