My Blog on WCCO-TV: Bite of Minnesota

Monday, August 31, 2009

Roasted Vegetable Couscous

Lately it has been so busy for me with travel, food and social events, so I have not done much cooking at home which has been driving me nuts. What good is going to the farmers market if I can’t make anything I buy? Luckily we had an unexpected free night over the weekend and I was able to cook.

I recently visited the Uptown Farmers Market for the first time and thought it was a blast. The market is located on 29th Street in between Lyndale and Dupont. The Uptown Market doesn’t start until 11am, so there were no worries about getting up early just to get the good stuff! Parking was really easy as there are plenty of spots on side streets.

The market itself is pretty neat. It’s only open four times in 2009 which allows the vendors to display fresh and exciting items. Not only are there produce, food and flower vendors, but there are lots of artsy vendors too. You can find cool printed tees from Kitchen Sink Press, spicy salsa from Salsa De Jasinto, funky earrings from Mod Margarette, and veggie dogs and chili from the Magic Bus Café.


The next and final date for this market is September 20th, so don’t miss out!

We bought some zucchini, summer squash, salsa, and a few tomatoes. The zucchini and summer squash went into a Roasted Vegetables and Couscous dish along with some haricots verts, onions, and peppers I picked up from the Rosemount Farmers Market.

The roasted vegetables were very tasty and an easy way to use up veggies on their last leg (kind of like the curry I posted earlier). Let me admit though, I am not a fan of couscous. It is plain, gets stuck in my teeth, and provides little nutritional value. However, in an effort to use up some of my pantry items, I figured I’d give it another try. Even after this attempt, I’m still not a fan. Unfortunately I now have four cups of cooked couscous in my fridge and hate to waste it. Suggestions anyone? Maybe I can make some sort of veggie burgers with it as a filler?


Roast Vegetable Couscous
(adapted from Bobby Flay)

2 red (or green) peppers, cut into 1-inch dice
1 yellow squash, cut into 1/2-inch dice
1 zucchini, cut into 1/2-inch dice
1 onion, cut into 1-inch dice
¼ lb. haricots verts or small green beans, cut on the bias into 1-inch pieces
2 tbsp olive oil
Salt and freshly ground pepper
3 cups vegetable stock
Pinch saffron
1 tsp salt
2 cups plain couscous

Preheat oven to 400°. Toss vegetables with oil on a cookie sheet and season with salt and pepper. Roast for 20 minutes, tossing once, until just cooked through. Cover to keep warm. Boil stock, saffron and 1 teaspoon salt for 5 minutes. Stir in the couscous; cover and reduce heat to low. Cook until all liquid is absorbed, about 8 minutes.

Fluff couscous with a fork and transfer to a bowl. Top with vegetables and serve.

6 comments:

  1. I'm not sure how this will work with prepared couscous, but it's a mighty tasty breakfast when made as directed: http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/recipefinder.dyn?action=displayRecipe&recipe_id=1185423

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really need to hit up the new Uptown Farmer's market!!! I've heard good things about it!
    What about roasted veggies with quinoa?!?! A little more nutritious than the couscous...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm...let's see - I know it's summer, but if your summer has been like ours on the coolish side, how about using some of the couscous to thicken up a chili. The veggie burger idea is great, or a "meat"loaf. I did a search and found this http://www.grouprecipes.com/33617/onion-and-wild-garlic-quiche-with-parmesan-in-a-couscous-crust.html
    Sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh -- the ratatouille recipe (http://catnamedpig.com/2009/09/01/on-a-mission/) I'm making for dinner is served over couscous, with a dollop of chevre on top for extra awesomeness. Check it out here: http://smittenkitchen.com/2007/07/rat-a-too-ee-for-you-ee/.

    Except I'm not serving it with couscous because that would be adding yet another food not on my daughter's current Acceptable List, and it's going to be hard enough to get her to try eggplant.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks fantastic!
    And that bus is so pretty! :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. My first thought for the leftover couscous was a veggie burger too. Maybe even a breakfast type patty - could be sweet or savory.

    The Uptown Market sounds similar to our weekly market, but we have to open and get there by 8:00 before everything wilts and dies!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...