My Blog on WCCO-TV: Bite of Minnesota

Thursday, August 13, 2009

Purple, BBQ & Blue

By now you probably know that I love to eat from the rainbow: purple asparagus, blue potatoes, yellow carrots, white skinned radishes and even orange watermelon. So, it shouldn’t be a surprise that when I came across purple cauliflower, I just had to have it.

What’s awesome about purple cauliflower is that unlike purple beans, it retains its beautiful purple color after cooking. In fact, the color seemed to become even more intense after cooking. Now who said vegetables are boring?

Although it tastes the same as traditional white cauliflower, it is said to be healthier because the purple coloring comes from anthocyanin, an antioxidant which may prevent heart disease by slowing blood clotting. If you can get your hands on orange cauliflower, you can boost your intake of beta carotene and have healthy glowing skin.

We considered making a curry, but instead decided to roast the cauliflower with sliced garlic at 400° for approximately 15 minutes. This was served alongside BBQ tofu slices which we first sprayed with olive oil and Braggs (similar to soy sauce) and baked for 30 minutes and then slathered with BBQ sauce and baked an additional 15 minutes.

Super easy dinner and light enough so that we could enjoy homemade blueberry pie afterward from our recent blueberry picking.

Mmm...blueberry pie...

This is my contribution to Fight Back Fridays.

4 comments:

  1. Wow that is so interesting! I love to eat all different kinds of things too. I hope I can find some!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, okay, okay . . . despite the heat, I think I need to make a pie. (I'm going to pick up some raspberries this weekend and make a strawberry-blueberry-raspberry pie, I think!!)

    And I must confess, I cannot get on board with cauliflower. I don't much care for it, and I can't figure out why! Bleah. Too bad it's so good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The purple cauliflower is really pretty and I love it in all colors. One time I steamed it instead of roasting it and it turned gray. It was not very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gotta love those crazy cauliflower. And the bonus is that they all have different nutritional values. Have you had the cheddar/orange cauliflower?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...