My Blog on WCCO-TV: Bite of Minnesota

Thursday, July 2, 2009

Swiss Chard Strudel

It’s July! Wow, can you believe it? I’m not ready for the 4th of July weekend, but since I do not have a special ability to stop time, I should just be accepting of it. As much as Ryan and I would love to celebrate with friends and family, we’re on lockdown. He’s taking the last section of the CPA exam in less than a week and I leave for a convention in Florida in just a few days. He has tons of studying to do and I have tons of presentation prep to do.

However, amidst all the pressure, I can’t deny one last run to the strawberry farm. After already picking 20 pounds of strawberries at Lorence’s, we’re going to Wyatt’s in Hastings for a refill. I’d like to dehydrate more strawberries to stash in my suitcase and try making jam. More on strawberry related foods in a later post.

Remember that Swiss chard I harvested? Well, I harvested some more and made an awesome struedel from a recipe I found in Real Food at Lunds/Byerly’s.

First you sauté some chopped onion, garlic, rosemary, and chard stems.

Then add in the chopped chard leaves and cook until slightly wilted.

Transfer to a bowl and add eggs, Gruyere, and sun-dried tomatoes. Season with salt and pepper. At this point, the recipe said to wrap all of it in the phyllo dough. I quickly saw that this was enough to make THREE strudels, so I divided the mixture into thirds.

Much better! Spray with olive oil and cut slits into tops and they are ready for the oven.

Cut into slices and you’re all ready to dig in!

Here’s the recipe. I altered it a tiny bit from the original.

Swiss Chard, Sun-Dried Tomato and Gruyere Strudel
(4 servings)


1 lb. chard
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 cup chopped onion
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 tbsp chopped fresh rosemary
1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes, rehydrated and chopped
6 oz. Gruyere cheese, shredded
2 large eggs
½ tsp salt
½ tsp freshly cracked pepper
18 pieces filo dough

Preheat oven to 400°. Place chard in a clean sink or salad spinner and fill it with cold water. Wash chard well, and then spin dry. Strip leaves from stems, keeping them separate. Thinly slice stems and chop the chard.

Put a pot over high heat and when hot, add olive oil and onion. When onion starts to sizzle, reduce heat and sauté until tender. Add garlic, chard stems and rosemary; sauté for about 5 minutes. Add chard leaves and cook until wilted and soft, about 5 minutes. Transfer mixture to a large bowl, pressing it against side of pot to leave any extra juices behind. Let cool.

Add sun-dried tomatoes, Gruyere, and eggs to greens in bowl. Add salt and pepper and stir. Divide filling into thirds.

Coat a large baking sheet with cooking spray. Place one sheet of filo on baking sheet, then spray with oil. Repeat, layering filo in a stack until you have six pieces stacked. On the half of the rectangle of dough closest to you, spread the chard filling, leaving an inch at each end to fold in. Fold the ends over the filling, then roll up from the bottom to make a long cylinder. Place it seam side down on the baking sheet pan and spritz top and ends with oil. Cut slashes across the roll. Repeat with remaining filling and filo.

Bake until golden brown and a toothpick inserted in center comes out with no raw egg on it, about 25 to 30 minutes. Let cool for 5 minutes before slicing.

This is my advance contribution to Fight Back Fridays!

7 comments:

  1. That is so pretty and I'm sure delicious!! This is probably such a crazy question at this point, but is there really a Cafe Cyan?!?!?
    :) If not, I think there should be!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Emily - you're so sweet! There is not a real Cafe Cyan yet...maybe someday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks yummy. Thanks for sharing this today!

    Cheers,
    ~KristenM
    (AKA FoodRenegade)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, this looks delicious! We need all of the swiss chard recipes we can get our hands on if we're going to be able to use even a fraction of what our garden is producing!

    This one looks like it could be a winner with the kids, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is a fantastic looking strudel and a great way to use swiss chard.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks SO good! I wish I could eat the dough :( I'm so going to figure out a gluten free alternative one of these days :)

    Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving a comment! :)

    Becks (delish)

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks absolutely stunning!!!
    Can't wait to see more strawberry ideas! YUM

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...