My Blog on WCCO-TV: Bite of Minnesota

Friday, July 24, 2009

A Picture Perfect Wrap

Have you ever seen a great picture of food in a magazine and say, “I want to make that!”, only to find that the recipe and the picture do not quite match up? Recently I splurged on a cooking magazine (it was $9.99 and I should have never purchased it) because some of the pictures looked great. I was so excited about a wrap that was pictured, but the recipe was completely off and even used pita bread instead of the tortilla wrap in the picture. Frustrated, I decided to create the wrap on my own and came up with this which looked very similar to the picture:

I found these awesome sun-dried tomato wraps from American Bakery Products and used that as a base. I started with some Creamy Hummus from Vive le Vegan, sprinkled some pine nuts on top and layered roasted red peppers, grilled onions, grilled zucchini, and baby lettuce. It was all rolled up and wrapped in wax paper for lunches (haha, I wrapped the wrap…get it?). Ryan came home with rave reviews that echoed my own thoughts. It was so simple to prepare and traveled well because both the zucchini and lettuce still had a great crunch to them after sitting overnight.

I plan on making more wraps with grilled zucchini because I picked up a lot at the Midtown Farmers Market over the weekend.

Can’t wait to try a few more zucchini and squash recipes. It’s never been my favorite vegetable, but it is so plentiful in the summer that it’s hard to resist using it in tons of recipes.

This is my contribution to Fight Back Fridays with Food Renegade!

3 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness I know what you mean abotu not getting a recipe to look like a picture. It frustrates me but most often it still tastes awesome.

    That wrap looks absolutely amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmmm I love grilling zucchini, peppers and onions and putting them in a wrap with creamy hummus, quite possibly my favorite lunch ever!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...