My Blog on WCCO-TV: Bite of Minnesota

Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Heaven in a Jar

Right now I should be on a plane to Fort Lauderdale, Florida…that is if two things happen: 1.) My plane takes off on time & 2.) Blogger actually posts as scheduled.

I go to Florida with mixed emotions. While I’m very excited to see all the friends I’ve developed over the years serving on the board of directors for a service not-for-profit, I’m nervous about being away from my home kitchen for almost a week. I rarely eat out as it is, so how am I going to survive on hotel food and eating on a pre-determined schedule? I stocked my suitcase with staples such as granola, dried fruits and nuts, so hopefully that will help.

I will also miss all the strawberry goodness that is still happening in my house. Ryan and I zipped down to Hastings for a visit to Wyatt’s Berry Farm, this time picking about fifteen pounds of gorgeous strawberries. While we found these berries to be a bit smaller than Lorence’s Berry Farm, they were just as juicy and delicious. We used the newly picked berries to make 8 jars of strawberry jam, which my sister calls “heaven in a jar”.

We also made Strawberry Lemon Bars. I love lemon bars, so I figured strawberry lemon bars had to be divine too.


Unfortunately, although the strawberry lemon bars were good, they weren't what I had hoped. These ain't your mama's lemon bars! Anyone have tips or tricks to share with me?

4 comments:

  1. That jam is beautiful! I hope Florida goes well for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tried to comment the other day, but blogger wouldn't let me, so let's try again!!

    Dan and I took a batch of your strawberry lemonade to his parents' house for the 4th weekend, and it was VERY well-received! Thanks again for sharing such an awesome recipe!

    I wonder if you pureed whole strawberries with the lemon filling, would that work better?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Emily - me too...landed safely.

    Catherine - great to hear about the lemonade. I think you have a great idea of the pureed strawberries. Next time, next time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're so lucky to have all those fresh strawberries. Please do work on the strawberry lemon bars because that sounds like the most awesome summertime dessert ever.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...