My Blog on WCCO-TV: Bite of Minnesota

Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Strawberries Rock!

It’s that strawberry time of year again. The big strawberry picking date is set for Saturday morning. Feel free to join us. We’re headed out to Lorence’s Berry Farm in Northfield early in the morning. When you start to see these signs, you know you’re headed in the right direction:

Although I haven’t had time to actually pick strawberries, I did run down to Lorence’s and buy some pre-picked. I wasn’t sure what to expect for pricing, but it wasn’t too bad for not doing any work: $4 per pint, which was overflowing with strawberries. Although I didn’t weigh it, I’m sure it was at least (if not more) than a pound. The nice lady at Lorence’s kept putting extra strawberries in my basket – yay!

I ran home and made the Spring Strawberry Pie from Cooking Light. Remember last year? Ryan and I devoured the whole thing without taking a picture. This time I did take a picture and it’s over on Bite of Minnesota.

Ever since I bought a big bag of lavender in Portland from Sundance Lavender Farm, I’ve been waiting to make Strawberry Lavender Lemonade again. It is one of my favorite beverages and I totally skimp on the sugar. I like my stuff SOUR!

It is also yummy poured over sparkling water and extends the life of the lemonade by just a little bit.

Once we get picking, I plan to make more Berry Goodness Muffins, perhaps another pie (this time I’ll share), some freezer jam, and I’ll try my hand at Strawberry Buttermilk Gelato again this year.

Have you gone strawberry picking yet? What do you do with your loot?

Try making this recipe. I grabbed it from Cooks of Crocus Hill years ago:

Lavender Strawberry Lemonade

4 ½ c. cold water
1 tbsp dried lavender flowers
1 ½ - 1 ¾ c. sugar, to taste (*editor's note...I only used 1/2 cup of sugar)
10 fresh strawberries, hulled and sliced
2 c. lemon juice (approximately 12 small lemons)

Place 2 cups of water, lavender, sugar and strawberries in a saucepan. Bring to gentle boil over medium heat; stir to dissolve sugar. Reduce to medium-low and simmer for 5 minutes. Cover and remove from heat. Let steep for 10 minutes.

Strain the mixture through a fine mesh strainer into a 2-quart container. Stir in lemon juice and 2 ½ cups water.

Chill and serve.

5 comments:

  1. Mmm...that lemonade sounds awesome! Even good for a mixed drink.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Taylor - you better believe we've used this for mixed drinks before :) Mmmm...vodka lemonade.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sad our strawberry season was so short. You are lucky to still be enjoying fresh berries! I love the pie recipe with the graham crackers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a rhubarb lavendar lemonade recipe that is similar although it uses the shortcut of frozen concentrate. I may have to give it a try with you proportions of fresh lemon juice and sugar.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dan and I are going strawberry-picking on Friday, and I'm definitely going to be trying your strawberry lemonade!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...