My Blog on WCCO-TV: Bite of Minnesota

Thursday, June 4, 2009

Purple Asparagus!?!

Last night Ryan and I caught a screening of Fresh at Minneapolis’s Riverview Theater. All 750 seats were taken and it was great to be surrounded by likeminded people who believe in sustainable farming and changing the way we eat.

Before the theater, we grabbed some awesome cocktails at Town Talk Diner. I’m a big fan of their English Float which is Young’s Double Chocolate Stout with a scoop of chocolate ice cream. However, I needed to save room for popcorn later, so I went with the Spring Fever: vodka, lavender liqueur, sparkling wine and bee pollen.


Ryan grabbed the Bacon Manhattan: bacon-washed bourbon, cherry liqueur, cherry-vanilla bitters garnished with a slice of bacon with a cherry. Too funny, right?

I figure it wouldn’t be spring unless I posted yet again about asparagus. Look how lucky we were to get purple asparagus!

It is supposed to be more tender than traditional green asparagus and can be eaten raw. Too bad I learned this *after* grilling it. Oh well, it was still delicious! I baked sweet potato fries (tossed with fresh herbs), grilled some veggies and asparagus and served them with veggie dogs. Anyone have a favorite brand of veggie dogs? I tried Yves and they were just okay, but not great.

It sounds like some folks are interested in meeting up for strawberry picking. Let me figure out a date (likely the week of June 15th) and a time and we can meet up. We’ll head to Lorence’s in Northfield off of Cedar Avenue. Let me know if you’re interested and I’ll send you details.

This post is a part of Food Renegade's Fight Back Fridays.

10 comments:

  1. Ooooh, pretty! The drink sounds very refreshing too! I just heard something about bacon-flavored vodka or something....was it good?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like Lightlife Tofu Pups, but I've never actually grilled them. Must look into that!
    The movie sounds great - what did you think?
    Also, I'm a huge Town Talk fan/nerd! I researched the history of the place for the History Center a couple years back. It was so fun - I got to meet a lot of old regulars from the 80's and 90's. They had so many funny stories, and called the diner "Cheers without the beer!" If you're interested, here's the Wiki they made about it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the cocktails, definitely "his" and "hers"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmmm ... asparagus. I love it in all its shades: green, purple, white. I read that purple asparagus is higher in antioxidants than the other varieties.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not sure LightLife's Smart Dogs will win any taste contests, but I always grab them because they're fat free and there are eight in a package...and I hate not having the quantities of hot dogs and hot dog buns match up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Whoa! Those drinks sound awesome! I always get Tofu Pups because they don't have any wheat in them and my partner is wheat-free/vegan. I think they're pretty darn good. If I want something REALLY hearty, I'll get the sausages. Or make my own!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What wild sounding drinks!

    Thanks for sharing this in today's Fight Back Fridays carnival.

    Cheers,
    KristenM
    (AKA FoodRenegade)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Purple asparagus sounds like so much fun! Yum.

    Your grilled veggies look AMAZING. Yum. And Yves is the brand of veggie dogs I've enjoyed in the past. I've made a homemade veggie dog before, too (from Melody at MeloMeals,) which was mighty delicious!

    P.S. I can't go strawberry picking on the date you mentioned in your earlier post -- Dan and I will be out of town. :( Have fun, though!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cute pictures! All these summer veggies are so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've seen purple asparagus at the grocery store, but never bought any. Maybe I should indulge.
    Bacon in a cocktail? Now that's different!
    As for the veggie dogs, I haven't really found a brand that I truly like. Most are just passable. Most often I buy a brand called Au Naturel, but I don't know if they are available outside of Canada. I don't really like Yves except for their chili dogs. They're OK. I tried Tofurky Chipotle Franks once. They were decent enough - with a little kick.
    I bought my first quart of local strawberries last week. They were expensive, but sooooo good. I can't wait for more!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...