My Blog on WCCO-TV: Bite of Minnesota

Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Fancy Schmancy Jello Shots: Step by Step

I have to admit, I’m still recovering from the weekend. Yes, I know it’s Tuesday, but I’m not back into the swing of things. I planned on getting back into my workout routine today, but my body says, “Let’s just go on a walk instead”. I have managed to clean up the house and make some food though, so I consider that a success!

Part of the reason I’m dragging so much is because of a bachelorette party on Saturday in Stillwater. We did the boat cruise and then partied at The Freighthouse. I didn’t get to bed until 5am. Ugh.

Sunday was Grand Old Day, where historic Grand Avenue in St. Paul is shut down to allow for a parade and lots of food and music. The last couple years we’ve celebrated at phresh spa and salon where they bring in a DJ. It’s our homebase while we wander the streets searching for awesome bands. This year I brought jello shots to kick off the celebration. Everyone got a kick out of the fun shots and it got us set for a day of drinking. They were such a success that I was asked to put together a tutorial. Here it goes:

Step 1: Buy your supplies. I use citrus fruits as my serving vessel and they work well. Think about what flavors go well together. This year I made the following:

*limes filled with lime jello, triple sec and tequila (margaritas)
*oranges filled with orange jello and vanilla vodka (creamsicles)
*lemons filled with berry blue jello and black currant vodka

Step 2: Cut fruit in half lengthwise. Hollow out the fruit. I cut around a layer of pith (the white stuff) and scoop out the insides with a grapefruit spoon.


Step 3: Reserve the insides. Juice them and make a cocktail out of it. It makes for a great margarita or tequila sunrise.



Step 4: Arrange the fruits in muffin tins (mini-muffin tins work well for smaller fruit like lemons and limes)
Step 5: Mix up your jello. Add 1 cup boiling water to the jello powder. Stir for 2 minutes. Then add 1 cup of alcohol (instead of the cold water) and stir.

Step 6: Slowly pour the jello/alcohol mixture into the hollowed fruits. Don’t worry if some spills over the sides. Some of your liquid will get absorbed by the fruit, so if you have extra jello mixture, set it aside for later.


Step 7: Carefully place muffin tins in the fridge. After 1 hour, check the liquid levels and add more if you have some in reserve.

Step 8: After jello firms up (after at least 4 hours or overnight), place fruit cut side down and cut into slices.



Voila, now you have fancy-schmancy jello shots to impress your friends with. Enjoy!

8 comments:

  1. that looks cool

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG -- so awesome (and so fancy schmancy)! Now I just need an occasion. . . .

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it!!! Those are so great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Crystal! Now that I see how you make them, it seems so easy! I would never in a million years have thought up something like this. It may be quite some time until I make these (probably near the end of summer), but I'll let you know how it goes. Sweeeeet!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are just about the coolest things I have ever seen. I've got a BBQ Birthday party coming up that these would be perfect for.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...