My Blog on WCCO-TV: Bite of Minnesota

Friday, June 12, 2009

Dare I Say Asparagus Again?

Thanks to our weekend quickie run to the farmers market (and thanks to my new rain jacket), we’ve been able to eat a lot of local produce this week. Lots of salads were consumed, but we also tried some new things like these sandwiches.


The picture doesn’t do it justice. How do you take a good picture of a sandwich anyway? This one was stuffed with pea shoots, thinly sliced radish, avocado, arugula, zucchini and homemade hummus. It was absolutely delicious! We’re loving pea shoots around here and can be found eating them straight out of the bag and adding them to everything.

We also had been dying to try the Chili Almond Asparagus recipe from Vegan Yum Yum with the last of our local asparagus. Talk about fresh and tasty! With only a few ingredients, it was a snap to put together. Look at how pretty it was after baking:

We topped it with a crushed almond mixture and dug in. I’m not usually a big fan of carrots in meals, but they totally worked in this dish especially because they were sliced so thinly. If you have asparagus and carrots in your fridge, head over to Vegan Yum Yum and try this now!

Tonight we’re incorporating the very last of our pea shoots into a stir-fry along with Loon Organics baby bok choy and whatever else we can find in our fridge. I just need to come up with some sort of sauce…

This post is a contribution to Fight Back Fridays! Check out some other awesome recipes each Friday.

4 comments:

  1. Hehe, I've been doing the same thing with pea shoots - throwing them in everything! Have you found that you need to trim the tough bottom parts more with these later shoots? Maybe I just lucked out with that first batch. Also, that asparagus looks great as always!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That asparagus looks divine!

    Thanks for sharing it in today's Fight Back Fridays carnival.

    Cheers,
    KristenM
    (AKA FoodRenegade)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just got back from the Mill City Farmer's market and it was so great! Such a beautiful day here!!
    That asparagus looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that's a great shot of the sandwich, and I love all the ingredients. I've really been enjoying all the radishes in my CSA box. I need to get some asparagus so I can try this recipe.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...