My Blog on WCCO-TV: Bite of Minnesota

Friday, May 1, 2009

Vegetable Stuffed Poblano Peppers

In honor of all those Cinco de Mayo parties that are happening this weekend, I’m posting about awesome veggie stuffed poblanos! I’ve never been a big fan of regular chile rellenos because they don’t seem too healthy. When I came across a healthy version, I jumped at the chance to make these.

I do have a confession to make first…Ryan made these, I didn’t. Yeah, he’s back in action in the kitchen and in an effort to let him learn by experience, I have to take the back seat sometimes. It’s so tough because I want to fine tune so many things, but I’m proud of my restraint and truly, he does a great job on his own so I can’t complain.

Here’s a pic of the stuffed poblanos before they were baked. The peppers were then topped with a little sharp cheddar and enchilada sauce and baked until heated through.


This is now a favorite dish and would be a great crowd pleaser. The beans and veggies went so well together and it’s a great way to use up an extra can of enchilada sauce. Serve alongside a margarita and some cornbread and you’re set!

I got this recipe from a co-op newspaper, The Mix:

Vegetable Stuffed Poblano Peppers
(4 servings)

4 poblano peppers, small to medium size
1 tbsp oil
1 cup chopped onion
1 medium sized carrot, grated
2 small zucchini, cut into bite-sized cubes
1 15.5 oz. can pinto beans
1 10-oz. can enchilada sauce
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp cumin
Salt to taste
1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, divided

Wash and slit open one side of peppers, leaving the stalk intact. Remove all the seeds and membranes, rinse and place in a large saucepan filled with water. Make sure you put a lid on to avoid pepper fumes filling the kitchen. Cook peppers for about 5 minutes until they turn a deep green color. Drain and set aside.

Heat the oil in a medium-sized saucepan, add the onion and cook for about 2-3 minutes. Add the zucchini and carrots and cook for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the chili powder, oregano and cumin and make sure all the vegetables are coated.

Add the pinto beans, stir and remove from heat. Add ½ cup of shredded cheese and stir until melted. Pour about half the can of enchilada sauce into a casserole dish. Stuff each pepper with the vegetable mixture and place on top of the sauce. Pour the rest of the sauce over the peppers and cover the casserole dish with foil. Bake at 375° for 15 minutes. Remove the foil and sprinkle the rest of the cheese over the peppers and return to the oven until the cheese has melted.

Serve with salsa, sour cream, and on top of steamed rice and warmed tortillas.

This post is a contribution to Fight Back Fridays.

7 comments:

  1. Oh my, this looks great. I've stuffed bell peppers before, but never poblanos!

    YUM.

    Thanks for sharing this in today's Fight Back Fridays carnival.

    Cheers,
    KristenM
    (AKA FoodRenegade)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even though they aren't healthy at all, I LOVE chile rellenos! Your version is definitely a healthier alternative, though! Looks very tasty. :) (Great way to use zucchini, too!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those look amazing!!! I am adding it to my recipes to try!

    ReplyDelete
  4. YUM!!! You are so lucky to have a husband who loves to cook!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These look great. I'm not the biggest stuffed bell pepper fan, so I can definitely see trying these.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yummy! I love poblano peppers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had this recipe and lost it. Thanks for posting! I made them tonight. It's easy to add whatever you want to these. I just slice them in half and pile the stuff on top. Delicious!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...