My Blog on WCCO-TV: Bite of Minnesota

Monday, May 18, 2009

Tempeh Nicoise

Is it distasteful to use the term “farmer’s tan”? Because I’m getting quite the farmer's tan from running outside lately. I guess I need to get some sleeveless workout shirts or else I’m going to look quite funny when I have to wear a sundress. Eek! At least the weather is nice, right? Nice enough that salads suffice for dinner.

I love my cookbooks, especially my $1 garage sale find from a few years ago, Very Vegetarian. I always discover something cool to try and my new favorite is a vegan take on a Nicoise salad, Tempeh Nicoise. Not only am I getting a ton of veggies and a bit of protein from the tempeh, but I also get to use my favorite vinaigrette. It’s pretty basic:

Vinaigrette
(makes almost 1 cup)

1 tbsp Dijon mustard
½ tsp minced garlic
1 tsp minced shallot
½ tsp sugar
½ tsp salt
¼ tsp black pepper
¼ cup red wine vinegar
1 tbsp white wine vinegar
¼ cup olive oil
¼ cup flax oil

I could pretty much drink this stuff…but that wouldn’t be healthy, so I will take any excuse to use it on veggies. Here’s the salad ingredients before we assembled it. The dobs of white stuff is vegan aioli using Veganise, garlic, and lemon juice. I don’t usually like mayo, but it’s fantastic on the tempeh.

I recently started a Facebook Fan page for Café Cyan. It’s a great way to be notified of blog updates, so click here and become a fan!

You can also find me on Twitter.

Or on WCCO.

7 comments:

  1. I've only ever had vegetarian Nicoise salad, and I loved it. The addition of the tempeh would put it over the top!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tempeh is one of my favorite salad ingredients! This was a great dinner and make for excellent lunch the next day...mmmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How do you marinade/cook the tempeh for the salad? It sounds FANTASTIC!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Catherine - I steam the tempeh in a steamer basket for 10-15 minutes. Then I pan fry it using olive oil until it gets crispy. It takes on a nutty flavor when crisped up.

    Right before it's done, I throw a little bit of the vinaigrette in the pan (like 1-2 tbsp) and let that sizzle. Then serve!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We had this for dinner last night -- holy cow! Awesome tempeh! Awesome vinaigrette! Loads of props to you on my blog, btw. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello,


    We bumped into your blog and we really liked it - great recipes YUM YUM.
    We would like to add it to the Petitchef.com.

    We would be delighted if you could add your blog to Petitchef so that our users can, as us,
    enjoy your recipes.

    Petitchef is a french based Cooking recipes Portal. Several hundred Blogs are already members
    and benefit from their exposure on Petitchef.com.

    To add your site to the Petitchef family you can use http://en.petitchef.com/?obj=front&action=site_ajout_form or just go to Petitchef.com and click on "Add your site"

    Best regards,

    Vincent
    petitchef.com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...